Crying corks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDesCotes

Reaction score
This is weird. Almost all of my bottles of black tea wine are crying a very sweet liquid from the cork!

What could be causing this?ImageUploadedByWine Making1469993928.142778.jpg

There's probably only two possibilities: the corks or you. Given your number of posts, you've obviously done this before. So that leaves the corks. Are these the same corks used in the wine marked "P"? I suspect they've dried up but I haven't seen it before.

I have read about soaking corks but am always too afraid of introducing bacteria... So I have never soaked.

The corks are older. Could dry corks cause this? That kind of makes sense to me as it would act as a wick of sorts...?

If they have quit leaking, don't believe I would worry about it too much. Keep an eye on them occasionally and if they stay the same, when you feel like it uncork and consume. Think If I had any more of those corks left, tho, I would pitch them. Arne.

I think almost all natural corks leak when first put into the bottle. Has to do with the compression, that is why you are suppose to leave the bottles standing up straight for the first few days, then lay them down.

I think almost all natural corks leak when first put into the bottle. Has to do with the compression, that is why you are suppose to leave the bottles standing up straight for the first few days, then lay them down.

I left these bottle standing upright for an entire week. Reviewing my steps I did nothing wrong. I'm going to throw away the remaining corks from this package...

I left these bottle standing upright for an entire week. Reviewing my steps I did nothing wrong. I'm going to throw away the remaining corks from this package...

I think thats a good idea. Keep an eye on your bottles and if they continue to leak you may need to uncork and replace with fresh corks. Another issue can be bad jaws on your corker.

I have had this happen with mine. I use natural corks, grade 2, from an online site. My black forest ports had a few bottles with this coming out of the corks.

I also think it was from soaking. I would NOT pitch the rest of the corks, I still use mine and they are fine.

I also tested the bottles that were leaking, they tasted fine.....in fact the bottles won me a 2nd place =) I have left some alone....some I recorked if the top of the cork was getting really sticky. When I recork with a non-soaked cork, no issue.

Agglomerate. I think #7. They came with a kit wine that I bottled into 1.5L screw top bottles so I had them left over.

I use a hand corker and use 9x1.5? Why would you need a floor corker for a 9? I'm new I'm just checking.

I use a hand corker and use 9x1.5? Why would you need a floor corker for a 9? I'm new I'm just checking.

You don't. Depending on the cork, though, the 9s can be a pain with the hand corker.
I did a batch with #8s followed by a batch of #9s. The #9 was noticeably harder and I had some that, instead of inserting, simply punched a hole in the middle of the cork (leaving me with an unsightly cork-crown sticking out of the bottle).

You don't. Depending on the cork, though, the 9s can be a pain with the hand corker.
I did a batch with #8s followed by a batch of #9s. The #9 was noticeably harder and I had some that, instead of inserting, simply punched a hole in the middle of the cork (leaving me with an unsightly cork-crown sticking out of the bottle).

I get the cork crown but they are sealed, I would guess. I may try some 8's next time.. I've wondered why some folks get a nice pristine looking top, and I get an "Insy" cork top.. Thanks for the information. I'll work on getting the cork
set better.
I'm not a cork soaker either.

I've wondered why some folks get a nice pristine looking top, and I get an "Insy" cork top.

I use a floor corker, and I still get the dimple on the cork. It does pop back after a while.

I used a hand corker, and gave up on it pretty quickly.

Floor corker is essential if you want to countersink the cork, and then fill the depression with wax.

I may try some 8's next time

IMHO: I would not trust 8's for more than 1 year.

As to the bacteria introduction, I soak my corks for about 1-3 hours in a Sodium Bisulfate solution which, according to several sources, should sanitize them. If I am rushed I may use a warm solution and shorten the soak time to 30-40 mins so I don't soften the corks (I use all natural corks only) I don't put them in soaking wet but I don't dry them either. Of course I use a little red Hand corker. Only problems I've had was self-extracting corks when I filled a little too much. Other than that so far some of my corks show a little stain from the blackberry, blueberry wine as far as a 1/4 of an Inch and that's been it. I've only bottled about 90 bottle so far but no issues other than that.

Latest posts

Back