Cranberry orange has a gross vomit-like taste.

Discussion in 'Country Fruit Winemaking' started by Allie Geiger, Dec 8, 2018 at 5:42 PM.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Dec 8, 2018 at 5:42 PM #1

Allie Geiger

Allie Geiger

Allie Geiger

Junior

I made a cranberry orange blend using 100% juices from concentrate. It is primarily cranberry orange with a number of other fruit juices that were included in the blend, so lets call it "Cranberry Punch" instead. I didnt have very high hopes for it but thought I'd try.
    Well its nearly finished fermenting and it tastes quite undrinkable. Has a sour, dirty, vomit-like taste. I don't know if that is mostly because of the yeast still working in it, or if I just was totally unsuccessful. I plan to let it finish, stabalize, backsweeten, bottle, and maybe just leave it to age a year or two.
    Has anyone had a similar problem? Did it turn out drinkable in the end?

2. Dec 8, 2018 at 6:11 PM #2

salcoco

salcoco

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker

aging should work. are you sure that the flavor combination of cranberry orange may not the culprit?

3. Dec 8, 2018 at 7:54 PM #3

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Stressbaby

Just a Member

It could be "reductive." Did you follow a good nutrient schedule? If it's reductive you want to fix it sooner rather than later. You can do a diagnostic test, instructions here.

The longer you wait with a reductive wine, the harder it is to fix.

4. Dec 9, 2018 at 6:23 PM #4

BernardSmith

BernardSmith

BernardSmith

Wines that have the aroma of vomit are typically infected with a bacterium that creates butyric acid and these bacteria may have been introduced with the fruit you added. I don't know that there is any way to remove this acid or the aroma IF that is indeed the cause.