Quantcast

Cranberry orange has a gross vomit-like taste.

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Allie Geiger

Reaction score
I made a cranberry orange blend using 100% juices from concentrate. It is primarily cranberry orange with a number of other fruit juices that were included in the blend, so lets call it "Cranberry Punch" instead. I didnt have very high hopes for it but thought I'd try.
Well its nearly finished fermenting and it tastes quite undrinkable. Has a sour, dirty, vomit-like taste. I don't know if that is mostly because of the yeast still working in it, or if I just was totally unsuccessful. I plan to let it finish, stabalize, backsweeten, bottle, and maybe just leave it to age a year or two.
Has anyone had a similar problem? Did it turn out drinkable in the end?

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
aging should work. are you sure that the flavor combination of cranberry orange may not the culprit?

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
It could be "reductive." Did you follow a good nutrient schedule? If it's reductive you want to fix it sooner rather than later. You can do a diagnostic test, instructions here.

The longer you wait with a reductive wine, the harder it is to fix.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
Wines that have the aroma of vomit are typically infected with a bacterium that creates butyric acid and these bacteria may have been introduced with the fruit you added. I don't know that there is any way to remove this acid or the aroma IF that is indeed the cause.