Sour tasting wine, but not vinegar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

BMarNJ

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last spring I made a Chilean Cab/Merlot blend with a 6 gal CabSav juice bucket and 36lbs of Merlot grapes.
Initial readings were pH3.7, sg 1.094,brix 22.5 and TA 4.5. I adjusted TA up slightly and added RC212 and yeast nutrients. I added VP41 mlf bacteria with acti-ml a day later. 5 days later sg was 1.002, pH was 3.4 and the wine tasted sour, but it was new so I wasn’t worried. Three weeks in, MLF was complete, and the wine still tasted sour.
Well, it’s almost a year into bulk aging and each time I taste it, the wine is sour tasting, like a bit of sugar would help. It isn’t vinegar and it isn’t overly astringent. It smells fruity, but it is pretty light, not a lot of mouthfeel. I don’t think I tasted the juice bucket initially, but I’m sure I tasted the grapes and they were good.
So sorry for the long post, but should I let it ride or should I test back sweetening it? It would be odd for a cab/merlot, right? It is drinkable, but not really enjoyable. My inclination is to let it age a few years.
Thanks.

Chuck E

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would "bench test" a couple things.
1. You could try glycerine to improve mouth feel and perceived sweetness. I use 10 - 20mL per gallon.
2. Back Sweeten with a simple syrup (2 parts sugar to 1 part water, simmered to clarity). I use 10 - 20 mL per gallon.
If you back sweeten you may need to add potassium sorbate to keep the yeast from re=activating.

VinesnBines

Reaction score
I have a red raspberry that was extremely sour, really high acid. I used calcium carbonate (four ounces for three gallons). That helped a bit. After racking off the lees, I added a couple ounces of oak chips. I actually planned to try egg white fining but when I did a bench trial with back sweetening, I decided not to bother with the fining. I'm hoping it will be half-way decent when I bottle in a couple weeks.

I also have a gallon and 1/2 of fig that is nearly vinegar. I have been oaking it to death and may end up egg white fining. I have toyed with turning the fig into a sherry or madeira. Oxygenation may improve the taste.

I finally bottled the Petit Verdot that never did taste right. It was oaked and fined with egg whites. I don't have a lot of hope for that batch.

My suggestion, keep working with your batch and don't give up.

VinesnBines

Reaction score
I ignore the numbers for the most part. I rely on my taste buds. Remember that everything affects taste, meds, food, health, O2....have you tried decanting a sample? Get someone else to taste it...sometimes we are taste blind.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it possible your numbers are off? i.e. do you trust your pH meter 100%? If your pH if off by 0.1 I could see that easily being sour to my tastebuds. I see two choices. Since it appears to not even be quite a year old yet it may be just "green" wine and needs to settle down more and integrate. The other option is a bench trial with some Potassium Carbonate to drop some acid and see if that removes the sour note. Shoot for a pH more like 3.7.