Country Living

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife's boss and his wife went to Denver to visit his sister in law several years ago. They told him a story of shortly after they had moved into their trailer that a mountain lion had made himself at home under the trailer.

They immediately called the game commission and the ranger said "Has he killed anyone?" What does that have to do with it? The ranger replied that he could remove the mt. lion but his scent is there and if he's gone, another one will take his place and he might not be so friendly. (So much for getting the kids to play outside.

Later that week my wife's boss said he awoke one morning with a heaviness on his legs. He grabbed the comforter and gave it a snap only to hear a loud thud. His wife looked at him perplexed. It was a BIG A** SNAKE! Apparently it was cold.

They came home and have not gone back since. Hey; you're in their territory.

I've had a few run encounters with bears. Even had an armed stand-off with one. I had followed him at a distance to get a better look and he didn't like it. Fortunately he stopped at threat displays and I didn't have to shoot. Good thing as it was all my fault. I like living close to wildlife. For the most part possums and such don't bother anyone, but it's a little weird to see something up close if you're not used to it.

Last edited:
Steve,

My mother-in-law lives in Alison Park and one day she was out cutting her grass and a hawk attacked her. She calls the game commission, they come out and found out the hawk has a nest it was protecting. They tell her the bird is protected and it will have to stay. She had to wear a hard hat whenever she cut the grass. LOL she was shocked the the game commission sided with the bird! But that is why they are the game commision.

A good friend of mine was visiting some people. At some point he left to go home. It was dark where he parked and he had left his window down. He wasn't paying to much attention and just plopped down in the drivers seat. Realizing there was something on his seat he leaped back up. A possum had curled up on his seat and fallen asleep. It bolted, but not before peeing all over my friends seat. That car never smelled the same since.

I live in northern California and we have it all. Possums, foxes, eagles, hawks, whales, seals, and occasional great white bite. No bears though here on the coast! Been here a decade and a half and am not planning on leaving soon!

You don't need to be in the country for possums. I find them in the back yard all the time, and I'm definitely not in the country. We also have raccoons and coyotes as well. The coyotes run off with a small dog every now and then, so ours has to stay inside with us after dusk.

There was a spot on this evenings news about a skunk acting weird. The animal was killed and tested for rabies and sure enough it tested positive. Sometimes it's a good idea to keep your distance.

You know, you Americans are so lucky with all the wildlife you have. Even your birds are beautiful. We have nothing like all that here. Whenever I am over there I always make time to enjoy your wonderful nature.

WE have coyotes all the time here also. Here's a great story for you thats true!!!! My late father -in-law was coming home from work one day when he hit a dog, there was no one around and he had injured it pretty bad so he picked up the dog and put it in his car and brought it to the local Veternarian which is very close by. As he arrived he picked the dog back up which was awake but in a daze like from the pain I guess and proceeded to bring it inside. As he stodd at the counter the receptionist took a look at the "dog" and called the vet. in immediately. When the vet came in he looked at the "dog" and said sir you cant just bring that in here, my father-in-law said whatdo you mean? The Vet said sir thats not a dog but a very big Coyote! Now the Vet. did look at it since it was hurt and because it was already in his place but the damage was very bad so he put it down.

Holy Cow Wade,

That is scary but hilarious! A lot of people are really shocked when you tell them there are coyotes around but they are in a lot more places than people realize.

You know, you Americans are so lucky with all the wildlife you have. Even your birds are beautiful. We have nothing like all that here. Whenever I am over there I always make time to enjoy your wonderful nature.

ouch, that sucks!

we just moved onto 4 acres in the country. we have so many different types of birds. when i lived in the suburbs, i though there were a lot. lol. lots of snakes and lizards too. best part of this property is that we have a small river that i can fish in. :D

Back