Corker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine has 2 screws.......

Here is the proof that the 375's fit w/o any assistance.

20110407_214803_DSC02923.jpg

Mike,
You obviously make a lot of wine and I assume that you have bottled a great deal. How is the nylon (or whatever material it is) iris holding up? That was the essence of my decision to go with the Italian model (brass iris). Also, from my manufacturing experience, make sure the nylon does not dry out. It is notorious for cracking when it does.
I probably did not need to buy the more expensive model, but I take after my Father. He was famous for over doing any construction or over buying (the bigger is better theory). We used to say if he were an inventor, he would have designed an atomic hand grenade. He would just have to find someone dumb enough to throw it.

BTW Mike, I notice you have a Louis Martini Cabernet Sauvignoncase in the background. That is one ofour favorite Cabs, reasonably priced (it is about $14 a bottle here), good taste. We use that a lot.

Yep, that is a newer model then mine. I made a wooden hockey puck to do the very small 375's. Most still work but there are squat ones and the 175's that need the puck!

Flem said:
Tony, Two screws or three screws have nothing to do with whether or not you're nuts. LOL
smiley31.gif

True, but I also checked all three screws and they are all on tight. So at least I know I don't have a screw loose. Sorry, I couldn't pass that up.

I've got 3 floor corkers, and the plastic iris ones (2 Portuguese)are over 8 years old and still work as new. The only thing they get once per year is a bit of food grade lubricant, same as my brass iris corker (Italian). They've all done 1000s of corks. I prefer the brass iris as it works better on synthetic corks. The plastic iris corkers tend to crimp the synthetics, while the brass ones don't. At least with SupremeCorc and Nomacorc brands.

The Italian one is also a little taller and better built, so that's the one I use most often now.

Bought it new and I have probably bottled 20 kits with it so thats ~ 600 bottles. The iris looks brand new. I just purchased 1000 custom corks that are 1+1 agglomerate. I have heard that this corker could potentially damage a cork like that so we will see. Hope not. Like I said the iris looks new and feels new (smooth, no scratches) still.

Rocky said:
Mike,
You obviously make a lot of wine and I assume that you have bottled a great deal. How is the nylon (or whatever material it is) iris holding up? That was the essence of my decision to go with the Italian model (brass iris). Also, from my manufacturing experience, make sure the nylon does not dry out. It is notorious for cracking when it does.
I probably did not need to buy the more expensive model, but I take after my Father. He was famous for over doing any construction or over buying (the bigger is better theory). We used to say if he were an inventor, he would have designed an atomic hand grenade. He would just have to find someone dumb enough to throw it.

Yea, love that one as well as Rodney Strong, We have some good friends that supply me with cases of empties of both of those (very nice bottles). Both are excellent CA Cab's.
smiley17.gif

Rocky said:
BTW Mike, I notice you have a Louis Martini Cabernet Sauvignon case in the background. That is one of our favorite Cabs, reasonably priced (it is about $14 a bottle here), good taste. We use that a lot.

Mike,

How did you edit your response? When you first responded, it said Charles Krug and now it says Rodney Strong. Once you lauch a reply, how do you get it back to edit it? Just wondering and trying to better understand this forum. Thanks.

Rocky look under your gignature line of the post. There are a few buttons there, saying edit, delete and others you may not have. If you want to change it a bit, just push the edit button and it brings your post back up to change. When done click the save or update post.

Hi all,
Ok so I sprung for the big $ and boy am I glad. I have done about 7 kits since buying the corker and my back no longer hurts when corking!!!

Here is the corker...

20110409_155135_2011-04-09_15.4.jpg

If you look closely you will see that I had to make a slight modification to the feet. I bottle in a room (my wine nook) that has wood floors. If I were to scratch or dent the floor there would be hell to pay.

I took a quick trip to Lowe's and bought some Schedule 40 PVC caps. They did not have any 'end caps' so I had to get 1.5" pipe to 0.5" thread. I also picked up a couple of tubes of 5 minute epoxy.

20110409_155521_2011-04-09_15.4.jpg

I drilled a 3/16" hole thru the bottom of the legs to make sure I got a good contact and prevent the foot from coming off of the corker. I also put a small piece of tape over the inside of the 0.5" threaded part to prevent epoxy from leaking all over the garage.

20110409_155645_2011-04-09_15.4.jpg

20110409_155702_2011-04-09_15.4.jpg

Looking forward to MANY more batches of wine from this corker!!!!!!!

When I saw the first picture I thought they were rubber feet. Know they are pvcI would still be concerned about the floor.I would suggest putting a small carpet remnant under it to protect the floor. Great machine!.

Nope, no rubber feet!!! Been thinking about felt or some rubber but haven't gotten around to it (been too busy skiing). Have not yet scratched floor!

I was a little disappointed that there were no rubber feet on the corker when I got it. I use it on a concrete floor, so I am not concerned about scratches but it would be nice to have the rubber to prevent slipping.I had one in the past that was a better design as it was made from formed iron bar stock rather than tubular steel. I am not crazy about the two piece handle. It is kind of "whimpy" but I suppose it was an accommodation to partial assembly and packaging. My previous corker had a one piece handle. I am thinking of drilling an additional hole to mount the handle and take the "play" out of if. And, yes, I am a tinkerer.

Latest posts

Back