Corker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ibglowin said:
I have the Porto Floor Corker and do 375's every time I bottle. Never had a problem and I don't use a brick!
smiley23.gif

As Artie Johnson said . . . Veddy Intedesting. I'll have to see what I am doing wrong when I get home. OR do I have a cheap Chinese impostor?

Mike, do you have a hole in your floor?
smiley36.gif

What do people do with 375 ml bottles? Is that just for whatever is left over? I guess a case would be 24 bottles, right? Only place I have ever seen them used is on an airline.

I also hear stories about not being able to do ice wine bottles and the regular 375's. I do them all with no problem. Thursday I'll be bottling 21 gallons with my port corker all in 375's and ice wine bottles.

375's are perfect for opening first on a new kit. Why open (and possibly waste a full bottle) when you can bottle a few splits to open first as testers.

I also plan on bottling ALL 8 gallons of my La Bodega Port in 375 bottles (both regular and some Ice Wine).

The 375's are the perfect size for after dinner sipping for 2.

Rocky said:
What do people do with 375 ml bottles? Is that just for whatever is left over?

Rocky said:
What do people do with 375 ml bottles? Is that just for whatever is left over? I guess a case would be 24 bottles, right? Only place I have ever seen them used is on an airline.

I usually bottle 10 375's and 25 750's with each batch. The 350's have two good uses for me. One, I can sample a small bottle every month or so when I think the wine should be ready. Also they are perfect for my wife and I on week day nights like tonight. 72 degrees, Azaleas in full bloom, Hummingbirds darting around and one glass each of something red and Italian. Montepulciano perhaps.

20110323_162905_DSC02893.jpg

The 375's on the right were bottled with my Port Floor Corker. No brick, just put the bottle in the spring loaded lifting stand and release, put the cork in the Iris and pull the lever.

Done!

No adjustments required.

I used 375's for my jalapeno wine. Also using then tomorrow for cherry/chocolate wine. Will use ice wine bottles for the port and ice wine.

Wow, I have learned a lot about 375 ml bottles. They seem to be used for specialty wines and ice wine (which I don't do) and trials. I guess I drink too much.
smiley9.gif

so, my corker is Portuguese but the platform must have a shorter stem than y'alls. In the picture you really can't see but there is about a 1/2 inch gap between the top of the bottle and the jaws. The platform is extended as tall as it will go. I still can't imagine doing without it though.

20110406_205044_corker.jpg

Tony,
I believe that George addresses this in his video and suggests putting a block of wood on the platform and under the bottle to raise it sufficiently to work. From what you say, a chunk of 2 x 4 should work just fine. If you really want to get fancy, you could carve out part of the wood to fit the bottom of the bottle and avoid slipping.

Hey Tony,

Can't you just unscrew the platform a few revolutions and raise the top end till the 375 fits snugly into the iris?
smiley23.gif

A 6" piece of 2x4 works for me. No adjustments necessary.

Mike, I don't see where you can make any adjustments. I have no problem doing the small 375"s just the way it is with no blocks.
Tony does your's have 2 or 3 screws on the top. The old ones had three and the new ones have two. Mine has two.

I don't either, just like you. I was trying to figure out what could be different between ours and his. Just seems strange that ours works w/o any mods
smiley5.gif

ibglowin said:
Hey Tony,

Can't you just unscrew the platform a few revolutions and raise the top end till the 375 fits snugly into the iris?
smiley23.gif
It's all the way out.

runningwolf said:
Mike, I don't see where you can make any adjustments. I have no problem doing the small 375"s just the way it is with no blocks.
Tony does your's have 2 or 3 screws on the top. The old ones had three and the new ones have two. Mine has two.
I'll check that tonight. As you say there must be a difference in the old and new models. Mine is about 2.5 years old plus time on shelf at the store.

I cant do some of the shorter 375's on mine without putting a 3/4" pce of wood on my pedestal either.

runningwolf said:

You nailed it. Mine has three screws (older model). At least I know I'm not nuts.
smiley29.gif
Case closed.

Tony, Two screws or three screws have nothing to do with whether or not you're nuts. LOL
smiley31.gif

Latest posts

Back