cool fermintation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomy

Reaction score
I started a Apple, Grape, Raspberry using concentrate 2-15 using Lavin 71B-1122 at 62F as a experment. SG 2-29 1030, SG 3-6 1010 and racked into secondary. Today is still bubbling at the rate of one per 30 sec. I decided to try this after listening to Wine Radio and a few award winning wines were ferminted this way. Am I crazy, disadvantages/advantages
thoughts please. Thanks Tomy
smiley32.gif

You should be ok tomy. I believe the 71B has a fairly wide range for fermentation. From around 58 to 90 degrees or there abouts

Different yeast strains have different temp ranges and when you know which 1 you are us then you can keep it within that range. Fruit wines benefit from a slow cool fermentation as white wines do.

tomy when i do my fruit wines i use champain yeast as most of the wineries ,i've ask ,it seam to agree with all the needs,at least thats what i do,my constant room temp in the winter is about 60/62 degrees,summer time 68/72 degrees,,,no problems with my fruit wines yet

Checked my SG today and was 1002 and still active, so going to let it alone for another couple of weeks till she gets under 1000. Tomy
20080401_094350_SG_002.jpg

55 days after starting the secondary fermintation is complete with a SG of 1000, and 12% alcohol wine. I added 1 can of Apple Cherry concentrate to top off after I racked off the fine lees and 1 cup Chi Tea for the spices. I have realised there is no need for a high temp fermintation, and 62f is quite allright to get the job done. Tomy
smiley32.gif

20080411_081055_Apple_Cherry_sl.jpg

Latest posts

Back