Raspberry/Blueberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RkyMtnWine

Reaction score
Finally got another batch going... Decided to wait on a mead and stick with a Raspberry/blueberry wine.

started with 6 1/2 # Raspberry, 1# Blueberry, and 1/2 cup Red grape concentrate (addedbecause idumped into much water). Used raspberry recipe from finevinewines. Ended up with just under 4 gallons in the primary and adjusted the chemicals accordingly. Beginning sg was 1,082. Recipe called for 1,090 to 1,095 but i did read one of Applemans threads suggesting a lower starting SG. Purchased a brew belt and temp is maintaining at 78 to 80. Recipe did not call for yeast energizer.. not sure if I should add that. Hope i didnt get it to watered down and thinking the red grape concentrate will make the adjustment. Will be adding the yeast this evening... 71B-1122. If you see any no no's to this please advise..

20081130_071518_100_2814_Small.jpg

Your main flavor will be Raspberry....it will over power the Blueberries.
The Red grape Concentrate will add body and color...the flavor never really is noticeable.

I personally would add Energizer too.

Keep us Posted.

thanks for the suggestion on the energizer.. Thought I would not get much from the blueberry... I purchased the last of the raspberry from the store and just needed something additional for fruit.. blueberrrys were sitting there so... why not. How much energizer would you add to this.. Its almost 4 gallons. Also.. is that enough fruit or should I try to find more raspberries

1/2 tsp per gallon with the energizer. Sounds really good. I wouldnt go lower then 1.075 with the SG unless you are going to drink it fast as the lower then abv the shorter it will last on a a shelf.

Was thinking of bringing it up to 1,085. Thanks for the advice on the energizer..

This post raises an issue that I have been contemplating. Which yeast nutrient/energizer is best. I have historically used a yeast nutrient containing just Urea and Ammonium Phosphate at the beginning of fermentation. I have only used yeast energizer when I had a slow or stuck fermentation, or as a supplement when making mead. Yeast energizer contains Diammonium phosphate, yeast hulls, magnesium sulphate, & Vitamin B Complex. And then there is Fermax Yeast Nutrient, which containsDiammonium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phospate, Tastone and Magnesium Sulfate. So which one or combination is best for starting a fermentation?

I use the Fermax nutrient and LD Carlson energizer in every batch thats not a kit and have never had a stuck fermentation. I add all the energizer(1/2 tsp per gallon) and used to put 1/2 the nutrient in at beginnng and the other 1/2 at around 1.055 but have switched to 1/3rd up front, 1/3rd @ 1.055, and the last 1/3rd @ 1.030. I thik that idea came from Dean and I like it better, really gets its going again.

Frustration
Added the yeast last night. Did everything by the book... yeast looked good. Its been about 10 hours.. absolutely no action.. This will be my eigth batch of wine. Of those eight only one started fermenting at the first try.. Frustration to the point I believe one more time and my wine making days are over. Must temp is good.. 78, Acidity is good. PH not sure.. use the strips and no reading to match... either strips are bad or its completely off the wall. Will make up a yeast starter and have it ready for this evening... just getting tired of having to start all over again and again with new yeast. It is quite obvious I do something wrong... but absolutely no idea what it is.

20081201_062251_100_2818_Small.jpg
Edited by: RkyMtnWine

Don't get frustrated Rky. 71B-1122 takes a couple days to start SHOWING activity. That doesn't mean it isn't doing anything. Those little buggers need to reproduce like crazy. They just do it without a big show. I don't ever start to be concerned until I see absolutely no activity for at least 3 days. For a nice fruity wine like this you desire a nice quiet slow fermentation. You could get the job done faster, but that activity blows all the esters out and you aren't left with much for aromas and flavors. Keep it slow.

Thanks appleman.. previous batches I waited 30 hours before i added more yeast. Will try to be morepatient on this one... Right now the feelingI get going into a new batch is thatthe yeast is not going to work the first time... very very frustrating .. notknowing whatI am doing wrong.Acidity level on this one is reading .4%, the ph.. using test strip.. is off the wall.. light brown.. does not come close to matching anything on the chart... so not sure if its super low or hit the ceiling, or if i have bad test strips Edited by: RkyMtnWine

Sorry to hear about your persistent problem...

If you have a good starter going your wine really should start right up.

smiley25.gif
Do you just pour the yeast starter on top of the must or do you stir it in????

smiley25.gif
What is the temp of the must when you add the activated yeast???

smiley25.gif
What is your fermentation temperature???

yeast prep was good... followed directions on packet.. poured gently into must.. did not stir.

must temp was 80. using belt., adjusted belt and this morning the temp was 78.

covered the primary with cheesecloth and layed cover over that.. cover has hole in it for airlock

Surely should start...Sounds like you are doing everything right.

Did you add the energizer????

Keep us Posted.

added the energizer... Should i be stirring it up today.. just looked at it and no action

There is no need to stir it today. Let the yeast begin before stirring it. Since you are using juice along with a bag, stirring isn't really needed, just pull the bag up and down a few times a day. It should begin working.

The pH test strips are not all that great. It can be very hard to interpret color differences. I much prefer a simple pH test meter.Edited by: appleman

thanks appleman. If those test strips are working i am guessing the ph is low with the light brown color. color chart on the bottle is shades of green..light to very dark green.. did see george sells the meters but just a little spendy.

Most wines will take 10-14 hours to start to show any activity at all but some yeasts and or wines will take up to and including 3 days to even hear that infamous sizzle like a soda pop. Red Star Cotes Des Blanc is famous for taking that long also.

33 hours after adding the yeast. Think I will stick with the hobby. Thanks all.. was getting frustrated and this leads me to believe i was to impatient with my other batches that did not kick off. Picture is not all that great but you get the idea.. at 9:30pm last nite there was no action.. pic was taken at 5:30 am this morning.. again thanks
20081202_054855_100_2819_WinCE.jpg

Back