cleaning ur tubes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonzo

Reaction score
So i had to descale my Kuerig the other day and it called for running white vinegar thru it. i was thinking if it could clean the Kuerig why not run it thru my tubes. was gonna use my auto siphon and run it thru the tubes. my tubes have a white build up on the inside.

anyone ever do this? is it advisable??

I clean my tubes with a camelbak cleaning kit. Comes with a tiny long scrubby brush for cleaning the insides of the tubing.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019DGBAK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Everyone on here will tell you never to clean any of your wine stuff with vinegar. Horrible idea. No matter how much you think you rinsed it afterwards. Get the long brush and then use soap and water. Your deposits will come off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I clean my tubes with a camelbak cleaning kit. Comes with a tiny long scrubby brush for cleaning the insides of the tubing.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019DGBAK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Everyone on here will tell you never to clean any of your wine stuff with vinegar. Horrible idea. No matter how much you think you rinsed it afterwards. Get the long brush and then use soap and water. Your deposits will come off.

I yell at my wife just for setting a jar of pickles next to my wine, why chance it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that using vinegar is not the preferred method, but from a risk standpoint, you are pretty much safe provided you are using distilled white vinegar.

The issue is that vinegar is created as a result of bacteria (mother-of-vinegar) infesting wine. Some vinegars may still have these active bacteria. Distilled white vineger should be safe though.

Bottom line, it is not really worth the risk. If your hoses are old and are in need of cleaning, toss them out and get new ones. Try Lowes rather than your LBWS, you will save a lot of money.

The white build up is probably the plastic clouding from the k-meta over time. Sanitize and go. I have one cloudy tube and it causes no problems

i was told i shouldnt use the tubes at Lowes cause they arent food grade.....is this not true?

i was told i shouldnt use the tubes at Lowes cause they arent food grade.....is this not true?

I've been advised that the tubes for water applications are okay, but I also worry about acidic solutions (like wine) causing problems. I solved that by looking at where the tubes from my LHBS were coming from, then going directly to them to buy in quantity. I can then replace my tubes whenever I feel the need...

Run some 1 step cleaner through it.
If it does not clear up run another batch of 1 step through it.

1 step has always worked for me.

Keed vineager away from the wine. If the mother is in the vineager, she can Contaminate all your wine and wine making gear!

Run some 1 step cleaner through it.
If it does not clear up run another batch of 1 step through it.

1 step has always worked for me.

Keed vineager away from the wine. If the mother is in the vineager, she can Contaminate all your wine and wine making gear!

Elmer,

Distilled vinegar contains no mother of vinegar. Still, just the though of vinegar in my winery make me feel uneasy. Good policy to have.

I wet a part of a cotton ball with starsan, stick in tube and blow it thru the tube a couple of times . I think it works.

Latest posts

Back