Cleaning Tubing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i found that an effective way to clean and evacuate tubing, racking canes, siphons, etc. is to run hot water through them followed with a good sanitizer. then i use my air compressor and blow high pressure air through them to evacuate 99% of the residual moisture. hanging up to air dry is nearly worthless. i've done the whole 'swinging them around like a ninja tactic' hoping to get the remaining water out but it's damn near futile and looks ridiculous. the compressed air works amazingly and i don't need to wait before i put everything back into storage.

@Brant If I had an air compressor I might try that.

One suggestion I saw on another thread is to do a final rinse of the tubing with Kmeta. That way if it takes a long time to dry, nothing will grow in the tubing.

@Brant If I had an air compressor I might try that.

One suggestion I saw on another thread is to do a final rinse of the tubing with Kmeta. That way if it takes a long time to dry, nothing will grow in the tubing.
I've been using kmeta to disinfect but will prob start using star san since it's a faster disinfectant. They say kmeta needs to contact for longer to be as effective.

I use Star san to sanitize everything before racking. But when you cleaning your tubing after you are finished, you could use a final Kmeta rinse before allowing it to dry. That should help to protect the tubing while it dries, but only if you don't rinse afterward.

I just put a gal hot water in the fermentation bucket and a tbsp of easy clean. Coil the tubes in the bucket and let it soak for a while.

Latest posts

Back