cleaning plastic fermenters

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryjo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has probably been posted before but I haven't seen it, and anyway, it needs to be said again.
It is not good to use metal utensils when working with plastic. The metals will scratch the surface.
In time, enough scratches will cause a rough surface. This surface can harbor nasty little bugs which can mess up a good batch of wine. Using a sulfite spray will help, but it is no guarantee. Use a plastic spoon, stirring paddle and other utensils.
Also, use a nylon mesh pot scrubber to clean the inside. These can be purchased or home made.
Any store that carries bolts of cloth will have it. ie:Walmart.
Just a word to the wise.

For cleaning I suggest a "OXY" type UNsented cleaner.

Barryjo, thanks for posting this as I really screwed up. I used a metal paint mixer on my drill to mix up some crab apples I made earlier and really messed up my plastic fermenters. I am going to continue using them, giving attention to sanitizing but it made me sick.
smiley19.gif

dunce.png

Sorry about the fermenters,runningwolf. I would now suggest you use the "Oxy" method of cleaning along with the nylon mesh scrubber. Then maybe use One-step as a sanitizer. Or even a shot of k-meta in H2O from a spray bottle. I don't know if Oxy is classified as a sanitizer or not. Anybody??
I do use the metal paint stirrer for "whippin' the snot" out of
Skeeterpee. But I make sure I don't touch the sides or bottom.

No oxyclean is not a sanitizer as such, but it does leave a clean surface. You need to rinse well though because it does leave residue behind. I routinely use it to take the stain off fermenters, but then triple rinse.

Latest posts

Back