Quantcast

Cleaning Fermentation Bags

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
How do most of you clean your fermentation bags?

I have just hosed off the bags - so they are free of pulp. Not sure if washing them - or just letting them soak in dishwater soap - or just spray them with k-meta solution and let air dry.

BobF

Banned
Reaction score
How do most of you clean your fermentation bags?

I have just hosed off the bags - so they are free of pulp. Not sure if washing them - or just letting them soak in dishwater soap - or just spray them with k-meta solution and let air dry.
I wash away chunks, squish them around in soapy (dawn) water, rinse 100X, air dry and spritz with sanitizer. Then store in a ziplok bag.

countrygirl

Reaction score
i was wondering this myself every time i stir and squish them blueberries. thanks for asking/answering while it was rolling around in my head.

Tom

Reaction score
I take the bag outside and use my hose to wask the pulp off the bag. Dry it and store it till neeeded again

ffemt128

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Rinse out in stationary tub to get chunks off then warm soapy water, rinse well and kmeta prior to use.

HammerOne

Tatterdemalion
Reaction score
I throw them out. at $3.50 for 2 at the home depot it isn't worth the time,water an effort to clean them.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
I take the bag outside and use my hose to wask the pulp off the bag. Dry it and store it till neeeded again
So you don't really wash it with soap then? Do you k-meta the bags before use?

Madriver Wines

Reaction score
I hose them off. Soak in oxy clean for a while. This helps remove most of the smell and some of the stains. I always spray them with sanitizer solution prior to using. I sterilize everything that touches my wine. I'm kinda picky!!

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
Doing blackberries with mine really stained them up good. I would wash them with dawn dish soap, vigorously. Then after I had them as clean as I could get them, I would soak them in a bleach solution and they would be spotless white again.
Air dry them and then store them.
I have two that I have made close to 10 batches with.

Minnesotamaker

Pee Meister
Reaction score
I give them a solid rinse to get most out, wring the dang thing out, and toss it in the laundry. Comes out of the wash and dryer as good as new. I give it a shot of Kmeta before next use.

Julie

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rinse out the chunks and throw it into the washing machine and before I use them I dip them into the sanitizing bucket.

Tom

Reaction score
Paint section .. ask for the 5 gallon paint strainers.

countrygirl

Reaction score
Paint section .. ask for the 5 gallon paint strainers.
thanks tom, will check that out...wish we had a winemaking store in this area...i think the elkhart in store is the nearest one 2 me. thank goodness for online stores!

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I give them a solid rinse to get most out, wring the dang thing out, and toss it in the laundry. Comes out of the wash and dryer as good as new. I give it a shot of Kmeta before next use.
Thats what I do.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies - i bought 2 of those and there are no cleaning instructions on them.

I figured you could wash them - but i wanted to make sure first.