Cleaning Fermentation Bags

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker_3352

Reaction score
How do most of you clean your fermentation bags?

I have just hosed off the bags - so they are free of pulp. Not sure if washing them - or just letting them soak in dishwater soap - or just spray them with k-meta solution and let air dry.

How do most of you clean your fermentation bags?

I have just hosed off the bags - so they are free of pulp. Not sure if washing them - or just letting them soak in dishwater soap - or just spray them with k-meta solution and let air dry.

I wash away chunks, squish them around in soapy (dawn) water, rinse 100X, air dry and spritz with sanitizer. Then store in a ziplok bag.

i was wondering this myself every time i stir and squish them blueberries. thanks for asking/answering while it was rolling around in my head.

I take the bag outside and use my hose to wask the pulp off the bag. Dry it and store it till neeeded again

I throw them out. at $3.50 for 2 at the home depot it isn't worth the time,water an effort to clean them.

I hose them off. Soak in oxy clean for a while. This helps remove most of the smell and some of the stains. I always spray them with sanitizer solution prior to using. I sterilize everything that touches my wine. I'm kinda picky!!

Doing blackberries with mine really stained them up good. I would wash them with dawn dish soap, vigorously. Then after I had them as clean as I could get them, I would soak them in a bleach solution and they would be spotless white again.
Air dry them and then store them.
I have two that I have made close to 10 batches with.

I give them a solid rinse to get most out, wring the dang thing out, and toss it in the laundry. Comes out of the wash and dryer as good as new. I give it a shot of Kmeta before next use.

Rinse out the chunks and throw it into the washing machine and before I use them I dip them into the sanitizing bucket.

Paint section .. ask for the 5 gallon paint strainers.

Paint section .. ask for the 5 gallon paint strainers.

thanks tom, will check that out...wish we had a winemaking store in this area...i think the elkhart in store is the nearest one 2 me. thank goodness for online stores!

Thanks for all your replies - i bought 2 of those and there are no cleaning instructions on them.

I figured you could wash them - but i wanted to make sure first.

Latest posts

Back