Chilean Juices at L'uva Bella in Youngstown, OH

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, these are pure unfrozen juice. From what I understand you want to move pretty fast once they come in as they are busting at the seems to ferment.

Too far away for me but wondering about how much solids are in these guys?

If they sat on the skins for a day or so and then were pressed off and they packaged them for shipment I could see how they would be ready to "esplode"........ :D

made 3 of these last spring. Bottled carmenere and reisling couple weeks ago and both were very good. I picked mine up at the agway in greenville pa. They arrived last year in early april, vic

made 3 of these last spring. Bottled carmenere and reisling couple weeks ago and both were very good. I picked mine up at the agway in greenville pa. They arrived last year in early april, vic

Hey Vic welcome to the forum. This is your first post since joining a year ago, LOL. Stick around and pop in more often. I am sure you've seen we have many get togethers here in Western PA and would love to have you join us. Do you have a price list from Agway yet? I believe they are getting their juice from Luva Bella.

We head through Youngstown on our way to Cleveland to visit family. Depending on when the juice is in we might pick it up from there or we might drive over to NJ and get some.

dan. thanks for posting the prices, they are not on luva's website yet. Last year the prices were the same to get the juice in greenville. He has many orders so the juice is delivered to him but you have to get there to pick them up asap, as you said they start fermenting quick.

Vic, take a look at my first post on this thread. I attached the new price list they sent out last night. They'll probably be posting it on their web site as soon as they can get their web master to do it.

Vic, I just talked to Agway in Greenville. They also get their juice from L'uva Bella as they are a major distributor. The prices are the same. Greenville is about half the distance for me and will save me 50 miles one way but it would be worth the trip back to L'uva Bella to get the Orange Muscat.

Dan,
I don't know the first thing about juice buckets, but I'd like to try it sometime.
Do you feel these juices are first quality; capable of producing excellent wines?

Mike, As I have done for the last year, you'll kick yourself for not getting a couple. Everything I heard about the Chiliean is tops! Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but as soon as you get it home add some k-meta and pectic enzyme. Let it sit for 24 hours and then add your yeast. Depending on what you get there are additional things you can do and that is whats great about this forum. The folks that have done them in the past can walk you through any additional steps you may want to do. For $50.00 it's a no brainer. The biggest problem is sneaking them into the cellar and blending them in with the other carboys. LOL

Mike, As I have done for the last year, you'll kick yourself for not getting a couple. Everything I heard about the Chiliean is tops! Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but as soon as you get it home add some k-meta and pectic enzyme. Let it sit for 24 hours and then add your yeast. Depending on what you get there are additional things you can do and that is whats great about this forum. The folks that have done them in the past can walk you through any additional steps you may want to do. For $50.00 it's a no brainer. The biggest problem is sneaking them into the cellar and blending them in with the other carboys. LOL

Pretty much about it although it may take longer than 24 hours before you can pitch yeast. Last year my juice was a whopping 38 degrees when I got it home. Took almost 2 days to get up to room temps.

For $50 each even if you only had a %50 success rate you would still be breaking even with WE kit costs (typicly $100 at my LBS). So for the price of 2 kits I can get 4 buckets of Chilaen juice.

We are going to my wife's parents house this weekend to help build their wine work benches and I have a feeling we are each going to be ordering around 4-6 buckets each.

I too have never tried the Chilian juice buckets but it seems they are very popular & good & at about $50.00 per bucket, cant pass it up. So, I guess the procedure is that you pay for these in advance & they will be in about a month or two, then pick them up when notified??? I'm guessing buckets are probably all the same but from the different vendors, all comming from Chile?? Consumers Produce in the Burgh is the closest to me. Any recomendations on which kind would be best for a final med sweet SG?? Prefer med sweet to sweet over dry........
AL

I too have never tried the Chilian juice buckets but it seems they are very popular & good & at about $50.00 per bucket, cant pass it up. So, I guess the procedure is that you pay for these in advance & they will be in about a month or two, then pick them up when notified??? I'm guessing buckets are probably all the same but from the different vendors, all comming from Chile?? Consumers Produce in the Burgh is the closest to me. Any recomendations on which kind would be best for a final med sweet SG?? Prefer med sweet to sweet over dry........
AL

Al, When I spoke with Ruth, the co-owner last week, she said if you order, you do not need to pay up front. Actually, she said that your order is not a commitment that you have to buy it when it comes in. I believe there are enough folks that either walk in, or just didn't get around to ordering in advance, to buy them.

Woot! Just got permission from the banker for 6 buckets of Chilean juice =)... by 6 of course she really means 8 =)....

What do you think, 2 Cab Sauv, 2 Cab Franc, 2 Merlot, 1 Zin, 1 Syrah?

Latest posts

Back