Chilean Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I think I'll be paying around $160 for 2 pails of juice and two 18 lb lugs if grapes, so that seems expensive to be. I just ordered a pail and a lug of Malbec and Syrah this morning. Can't wait to see how they come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Man am I getting antsy now! Anyone heard when harford will get their juice in?

On a fun note, I just ordered all the rest of my ingredients! Icv gre, Bacchus, and medium plus American oak cubes for my carmenere then ba11 for my sauv blanc. And I finally decided to get some goferm and fermaid k since everyone raves about them. Winemaking is in the air!!

I am looking forward to this, as well. Haven't heard anything yet. The website stated late April/early May for Chilean from Harford. I am getting Cabernet juice, so have been researching yeast and MLF bacteria. It will be my first foray into non-kit wine making.
Heather

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

I don't know how the growing season has been this year, but last year, I didn't get my grapes until May 17.

My goodies arrived on Friday. I'm also using BA11, but on a Viognier bucket.

I've got a question for you juice bucketeers: I've made wine with Chilean juice before, but I stuck with the individual varietals. This year, I got five reds for blending. I had to remove some juice from each of the five buckets to accommodate the grape skin packs I used. This extra juice (about three gallons) was all mixed together in it's own fermenter to bubble away on it's own. Here's the question part: Will there be any difference---and what might those be---between the mix of five reds fermented together, and the five finished wines blended?

Because I aim to find out. :r

I've got a question for you juice bucketeers: I've made wine with Chilean juice before, but I stuck with the individual varietals. This year, I got five reds for blending. I had to remove some juice from each of the five buckets to accommodate the grape skin packs I used. This extra juice (about three gallons) was all mixed together in it's own fermenter to bubble away on it's own. Here's the question part: Will there be any difference---and what might those be---between the mix of five reds fermented together, and the five finished wines blended?

I am interested in your results, Dave. I think one difference would possibly be flavor?

Oh, boy. The possibilities are almost limitless here. In short, they will be very different, simply because the "field blend" of your 3 gallon mix doesn't have a grape pack (or if it does, is it only one varietal?). A few things/questions:
1) your field blend presumably contains roughly equal portions of all 5 wines. Your final blends could contain numerous possibilities proportion-wise
2) Are you using different yeasts in the individual varietals? If you are, what are you using in the field blend?

You are right, Jim. No grape pack in the "field blend" (good name for that, by the way), so that will make a difference. I plan to use it to top up the others later, but I will be tasting it, too. I will mix at least a small quantity of the blended five (equal parts) to compare with the "field blend".

The buckets were all pre-inoculated with EC-1118.

Question to step in with, I have purchased one of the pH/TA testers from more wine! as well as chromatography for MLF. If I'm cautious with my K-meta additions, am I okay for successful primary fermentation as well as MLF?

Ugh. Looks like the arrivals are all over the place this year. Buckets and white grapes in next week. Most red grapes the following week, Syrah and Pinot noir the following week. Of course, I have stuf arriving each week. And Harford is a two hour drive each way. Wonder if I can get them to swap my Syrah for Merlot.

Not good! I'm in the same boat with my carmenere bucket and cab sauv grapes. Not really sure what I can do at this point without having refrigerator space to keep the juice chilled until the grapes come in.

Not good! I'm in the same boat with my carmenere bucket and cab sauv grapes. Not really sure what I can do at this point without having refrigerator space to keep the juice chilled until the grapes come in.

I think you'll be fine leaving your bucket there for a week. They are kept in a walk in cooler.

just got an e-mail today Corrado's in Clifton NJ, they are getting there grapes and juice the week of May 7th.

Carmenere, Cab Sauvigan, Syrah and Merlot are going got $24 for 18lbs

Various juice is going for $49 -$55 ( more types of juice)

you can e-mail them at [email protected]

I think you'll be fine leaving your bucket there for a week. They are kept in a walk in cooler.

Crisis averted. I emailed asked if I could pick up the juice when the grapes come in and they said it was fine. Phew.

Latest posts

Back