Chilean Juice Pail Lists

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chateau Joe

Snowbelt Fermenter
Reaction score
Howdy all,

We got our copy of the price list for Chilean juice pails. A $5 surcharge has been tacked on this year by our supplier and the prices are getting a little high for my liking.

I was wondering what you pay for a pail of say Carmenere?

I saw on TV that the drought in California will likely have a negative effect on the grape harvest. I plan to really "brew up" this Spring and Summer from kits and buckets. I fear that wine, juice bucket and kit prices will be adversely affected next year. I currently have about 100 gallons to bottle and plan to make at least that much in the next few months. Something you might consider.

I saw on TV that the drought in California will likely have a negative effect on the grape harvest. I plan to really "brew up" this Spring and Summer from kits and buckets. I fear that wine, juice bucket and kit prices will be adversely affected next year. I currently have about 100 gallons to bottle and plan to make at least that much in the next few months. Something you might consider.

My LHBS where I get my juice is advising us to perhaps double up our Chilean juice order for that same reason. He fears there won't be any California juice available this fall.

Rocky is spot on but let me expand a bit further. The lake Erie region all the way up into the Finger Lakes was hit be a major blow from all the freezing weather. Vines just can't handle negative zero weather over three days in a row like we had several times this year. Vanifera vines are about shot and natives are taking a hit. The video below is our largest supplier.
http://www.wkbw.com/news/Vineyards-Being-Hurt-By-Winter-Weather-245604641.html

Joe, if we could get enough people together and have a pallet shipped here to NY, we could make it worth while, I know for one that I'd be good for about 4 pails and a lug or two of grapes.

Does anyone buy juice buckets in southeast PA? I hear there is a place near Rt 1 and 202, but can't find a website? I know there some others about an hour from me in MD and NJ, but SE PA would be better for me. I've never done a juice bucket yet, but want to do some this spring. Thanks for any information.

Rocky is spot on but let me expand a bit further. The lake Erie region all the way up into the Finger Lakes was hit be a major blow from all the freezing weather. Vines just can't handle negative zero weather over three days in a row like we had several times this year. Vanifera vines are about shot and natives are taking a hit. The video below is our largest supplier.
http://www.wkbw.com/news/Vineyards-Being-Hurt-By-Winter-Weather-245604641.html

Unfortunately for us who buy PA juices in the fall this means our costs will be higher as well.

Doug, I think you are right. I believe the prices of juice, kits and grapes from everywhere will increase due to the debacle in California. It has been my experience that there is a certain momentum created when prices go up and sellers jump on the bandwagon. I was referring to buying inventory that exists now and possibly Chilean juice in March. If prices go up, I will be okay. If they don't go up, I will be okay!

Doug, I think you are right. I believe the prices of juice, kits and grapes from everywhere will increase due to the debacle in California. It has been my experience that there is a certain momentum created when prices go up and sellers jump on the bandwagon. I was referring to buying inventory that exists now and possibly Chilean juice in March. If prices go up, I will be okay. If they don't go up, I will be okay!

I bought 8 buckets of Chilean last spring and in the fall I went with all juice from the Northeast PA region. I'll likely do the same again however I'm limiting my Chilean juice this spring.

Rocky / et al,

I heard about the drought in California, but I have to wonder if this is something that we really need to worry about at this time of year?

My point is that this is February. Aren't the vines dormant this time of year? Could it be that a few rains might replenish their reservoirs and have things back to normal before the vines come out of dormancy?

Just wondering if this will be as bad some folks think...

johnT.

. I currently have about 100 gallons to bottle and plan to make at least that much in the next few months..

Rocky, that's 40 carboys, a 1,000 bottles, how long can you cellar it? That's 3 bottles a day, everyday. Maybe I just need to step up the pace. bk

My supplier just called me the other day all pails $50. Just like last season... Ordered 10 pails... Using Capra collina in jessup pa....

Rocky / et al,

I heard about the drought in California, but I have to wonder if this is something that we really need to worry about at this time of year?

My point is that this is February. Aren't the vines dormant this time of year? Could it be that a few rains might replenish their reservoirs and have things back to normal before the vines come out of dormancy?

Just wondering if this will be as bad some folks think...

johnT.

California is hurting, a few vineyards have all ready lost vines from last season. Government water systems have shut down there supply of water to 750,000 acres of farm and more coming... Was just reading about and following the story on it.. It's a shame to see that many vines die....

Rocky, that's 40 carboys, a 1,000 bottles, how long can you cellar it? That's 3 bottles a day, everyday. Maybe I just need to step up the pace. bk

Homer, you scared me there for a second because I don't have 40 carboys! Check your math. That is 20 5-gallon carboys (I have a number of 6.5 and 6 gallon carboys and a 15 gallon demijohn) resulting in 500 bottles.

Barely what I need to work up the courage to go to Confession!

Lol, how far away are you from Lowellville, OH? It is called Luv Bella's. Ther website is www.luvabella.com

I've gotten juice from there before, no issues. I mostly go to collinwood grape company in Cleveland, no worries on pre order which is great as I usually do everything spur of the moment and they are only two hours away.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Back