Champlain Valley - Grapemans' vineyard - Planting to small winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year things got ready to break and it cooled down. This year it stayed cool and then went to 80 degrees and has stayed there. It is certainly earlier than last year at this point.

Our latest first 50 degree day on record was this year (just last week). But our first 80 degree day was yesterday, earlier than last year. Go figure!

Considering we are so similar, so far apart, I wonder how much latitude and sun angle/light factors in? Or if that's one of those "over a glass of wine" topics?

Well the vines have all sprung into spring. Depending on variety growth is from 1-8 inches of growth at this point. Unfortunately the overnight temperatures don't bode well for them. Tonight's temps are expected to be 28-29 and the next morning about 30. This AM it was about 38 here. I'm hoping we squeak by, but it is COLD right now.

Wow, can't believe you have as much as 8" of growth! What have your morning lows been averaging the last couple of weeks? We have been 36-38 degrees (still) since we got back from SOCAL. This AM was finally a balmy 42 with much warmer temps forcasted (both lows and highs) through the weekend.

Fingers crossed for you Rich! Get those smudge pots, fans and sprinklers going tonight!

Rich,

Here in the midwest we have had really screwy weather. I checked the vines I am helping with on thursday and they are just at budbreak. Probably 3 weeks behind last year. I'm a little concerned that if we have an early fall one variety may not ripen completely. I guess I shouldn't worry till the time comes. The temps are supposed to be more " NORMAL " this week, with tomorrow being in the 90's. On a better note last year it was really dry this time of the year and so far this year we have got a good amount of rain. Moisture won't be a problem at least for a little while.

BOB

The ones that have grown the most are the LaCrescent and Marquette in the new vineyard. They are well out in the open so hopefully the cold air will drain down the slope and keep them from freezing. It has been very dry here. Last week it was in the 70's and 80's and about 45-55 overnight. Now it has gotten cold with high yesterday of about 50 and this am in the 30's. No figuring out weather from year to year!

Thingts did get colder last night and I got a fair amount of frost damage, but it was limited to mostly the new young vines. The frost seemed to hit at the 0-18 inch zone so it was mainly young vines got frosted. They will grow back. At about 25% damage on 4 acres, it amounted to about an acre of vines frozen fairly badly.

All this talk of frost damage. Should I install something now in my vineyard to sprinkle in case of frost, for next year? There's no way I think I could cover a 60'x30' vineyard. Or should I just realize Im going to have to deal with frost damage. Are smudge pots practical for the backyard vineyard? Just wondering.

Sprinklers would work but I just rely on chance and a history of little frost damage here. Once it warms up, it usually stays frost free. Today was an exception and it really did not do a lot of damage to thebearing vines. Now it is raining for the first time in almost a month= nature's way of helping the vines recover.

Thingts did get colder last night and I got a fair amount of frost damage, but it was limited to mostly the new young vines. The frost seemed to hit at the 0-18 inch zone so it was mainly young vines got frosted. They will grow back. At about 25% damage on 4 acres, it amounted to about an acre of vines frozen fairly badly.

I think it is interesting to always remember, the numbers we look to in the past as to highs, lows, last day, first frost day... and so on, are mostly averages and that there are always "outliers." That's what I'm beginning to think after watching all this, albeit only for about 6-7 years.... We all learn from each other, regardless of where in North America we are! :h

This year is a bit behind last year as bloom goes. Last year by June 10 we were in full bloom. Here it is today June 12 and I would say overall the vines are averaging 10% cap fall and bloom. We should be full bloom in another 2-3 days and finish up in about a week. Overall I would say it is an average year because of the excessive clouds and rain of the last 3 weeks. We had over 6 inches of rain the last week of May and now in June so far we are right at 4 inches of rain so far. I have water standing in the vineyard in patches and the ground squishes as you walk. Don't even get me started with spraying. I put spray on and figure I am good for about 10 days to 2 weeks and 2 days after spraying get over 2 inches again making it necessary to spray again.

Rich, wonderful thread. There's so much to learn here. I'm wondering what yeast you use in your wines. Also, do you release tension on the wires during winter?

The yeast choices I use depend on the grapes involved and the growing season and I adjust the yeast according to conditions. I use quite a bit of Cotes des blancs and Lalvin 71B-1122.

I do not relieve tension on the wires for winter and haven't had any problems.

Why would one want to release tension? Is it due to contraction of the wires in the cold?

Grapeman, hope your harvest and crush are going well. I know it's a busy time for you.

Latest posts

Back