Champlain Valley - Grapemans' vineyard - Planting to small winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, Rich -- I think this work helps us all -- glad you're able to build on what you've already done!
smiley20.gif

After spending the last few days doing a bit of pruning in the vineyard, I woke up to a coupleinches of a really stick snow this AM. Tomorrow we are supposed to get about 6 inches. Nothing like late winter in the Champlain Valley!
101_6867_Small.JPG

101_6865_Small.JPG

101_6871_Small.JPG

101_6875_Small.JPG

It probably just seems like cold to you, but I think those are some beautiful pics!!!!!

BOB

We've got an early spring here so far. Everything is 2 to 3 weeks earlier. Hopefully this makes up for last year where it was the coldest spring on record, and everything was 3 to 4 weeks late. Harvest was pathetic.

Rich, I said to keep the snow there, you must have misread my post as I woke up this morning to 4" of snow!!!
smiley7.gif

I predict you may get more, although I think it is coming from the southwest and traveling northeast, so you might not get the blast from this afternoon we got here.

Wade I hope you don't get what we got. Everybody kept asking for snow, so we got more. We now have 8 inches of heavy wet snow on the ground on top of the other days snow. YUCK!!! Enough that I need to plow the driveway, and that is a half day job. The wind is gusting over 40 mph and visibility is about 10 feet along with 25 degree temps. Wade I'm gonna send it over so watch out!

I hear you there buddy. Rich, I didnt get that much. Looks like we will be getting approx 6" tomorrow night though
smiley21.gif
!

yeesh! I just saw the weather report for Boston/New York/Connecticut. Damn, I feel for you guys.
This morning was sunny, but as I got on my motorcycle to commute into work, it was like I was entering a strange land. Usually Vancouver is the one without snow and the outlying areas that I live in get it. Today was opposite. I thought it was a great day to ride in. As I got closer to the city the snow was getting deeper and deeper. Finally the console on my bike started to say "ICE", to tell me to be afraid, VERY afraid.
I hope you guys thaw out soon and get rid of all that damn snow.

Well we ended up getting about 2 inches and then it turned to rain and washed it away! Yeah baby!

My kids would love that. As it is here in Dallas, they are being forced to play on the playground in short sleeves with these 75-80 degree afternoons. Oh, how we envy you northerners with the "fun" weather!
smiley36.gif

Bart, if I could reach through this screen why Id!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those of you over here on Winemaking talk that haven't been over to Fine Vine Wines Forum, this is my thread on my vineyard from beginning to today as a small commercial winery. I will update this as time allows. I hope most of the pictures are back working after some being gone due to previous forum upgrades. Tex has done a great job in migrating the FVW forum and pictures.

I have no idea what grapes are popular in north yorkshire since I live in New York in the US.

Hardwood cuttings are easy to make. Just take the prunings you remove from the wood and cut them up into pieces about 3 buds long. Use the ones about the size of a pencil. Make sure when they are planted that the buds point upward. To do that when you cut them, cut the bottom flat about a half inch below the bottom bud. Count up 3 buds and make a diagonal cut about an inch above that bud.

Back