Champlain Valley - Grapemans' vineyard - Planting to small winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your not sampling in plastic cups are you!
smiley3.gif

Mike first off, yes I am currently sampling out of plastic cups until I can afford custom glasses. I know, they are not that much, but at this point anything is too much.

On the floor there will be a leveling layer of mud into which there will be some tile- size and color to be determined. The floor is fairly good, but a few low spots and hence the gaps in places at the bottoms of the wood on the walls and doorways.

When I get some sales going, I will continue on, but drafting work is still slow in the "recession is over" economy. Work has been running at one third for over two years now.

I will be getting a few dozen plain ones locally soon until I can afford some custom glasses. I don't need 30 cases of them, the sink is close by, but there is a practical minimum to purchase.

It all looks great, Rich. I know you've put a lot of time, energy, and of course, money into it. I really like the wine rack. Very simple, but tastefully done. Is that made of oak? I'm looking for a design---I just might use yours. Do you have dimensions. Good luck to you.

The wine rack is just that, a wine rack I made a few years ago. Yes it is oak, but oak plywood can be used. The plans for it were online somewhere at one time. I modified them for my rooms I had for them. I just snagged it from one storage area to put some wine on for the time being. I have another display in mind when I get time to build it.

Dan you will just have to drive on up some day and check it out for yourself. Would love to have you visit some day.

Rich, that room is coming along very nice!!!!!!! That Bar top came out wonderful! We'll let you slide on that table for now! hehehehe

Rich -- the room really looks great -- and I'll bet you're doing it in the middle of, or alongside, all the other irons you have in the fire!

I have no suggestions for the floor material, but I am reminded of a friend who years ago was the superintendent of the Lincoln Home in Springfield, Illinois. They had to shut down the house for several months to rebuild the entry, front halls, etc. The locals were not pleased and in an "ambush" TV interview he had a mic thrust in his face and asked, "How can you justify shutting down one of the most popular tourist attractions for three months?" His reply was, "Well, when Mr. Lincoln built this house, he didn't anticipate a million people a year walking up his front steps!"

I don't know you'll get to that level, but I sure hope that soon you'll be saying, "We need to buy more stools!"

I wish you great success!

Appleman - I just love what you've done with your tasting room. I would sure feel comfy staying awhile.

How is last year's vintage coming? Been bottling your whites? Did youplant any Frontenace Gris in your vineyard?

Congrats. It's always nice to see someone's dream become reality. I wish you mucho success. You certainly deserve it as hard as you've worked to create it.

Spring is trying to surface here in the Champlain Valley. It has been getting warmer each day and by tomorrow should be to the low 60's. Nights have been cold being in the low to mid 20's. It is perfect sugaring weather for the maple syrup producers. They should have a good year locally. The last two weekends they all had open houses or pancake breakfasts but I did not get a chance to go to any.

I have begun selectively finding areas to get started pruning the vineyard. It is nice to prune without being up to your knees in the snow. The downside is the mud in places now. Oh well... can't have everything.

I only have about 2000 vines left to prune.......................... How do you do it? people ask. One at a time...... one at a time.

Afer some nice warming weather for the last few days and then hitting a high in the 70's yesterday, most of the snow has vacated the premises. I have about 1/4 to 1/3 of the vines pruned after a few good partial days of pruning. When I began last week, the vines stayed dry after pruning. The sap is flowing now and the vines begin dripping right away after cutting. Even vines not pruned yet are dripping from the ends.

The buds are also swelling quickly. Looks like spring is trying to arrive. Of course it is predicted to snow in a day or so..................

You guys have all been reporting your vines growing and some are doing really well. I got up this morning to two inches of snow blanketing everything! Hopefully this is the last snow of the year- yeah right!

No pruning this weekend either as we had a pruning workshop and tasting here Saturday. Yesterday it wasn't too bad, but gale force winds all day and I needed to bottle some wine and prepare for a presentation in Saratoga NY (I don't think the horse racing track is open yet) for later this week. This one is covering what to look for and test in preparation for grape harvest (when to pick)along with testing juice for winemaking. This is in conjuction with my role at the Willsboro Cold Hardy Trial Vineyard. Again Anna Katharine Mansfield and Chris Gerling will be conducting a winemaking workshop. This is hosted by the CCE Northeast NY Fruit Program.

Holy smokes Rich, enough is enough! Sun was peaking out here at 7am and now an hour or so later it is black and raining. Good luck on your presentation.

Latest posts

Back