Champlain Valley - Grapemans' vineyard - Planting to small winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow you have been BUSY! Looks super.
smiley20.gif

indeed Rich...it is looking very professional

question...you have seats in there...typically seats involve having a food permit of some sort...did you have to get that as well? or are there no requirements?

Yes Al I have some seats. I set them at the bar because it was a clean area in the room. No I am not going to have food. This is not a "Wine Bar". I will have a couple pub tables that the stools will go to. I will encourage people to stop by and linger a while to enjoy themselves. I don't want them to come in the door, sample a couple wines and leave, but rather come and have a nice stay. I feel this is especially important for people that may travel some distance. I want them to come in, have a few small samples, chat and see what I have to offer.

In the spring, summer and fall, they will also be able to sit out on the patio and maybe have a picnic lunch they might bring. They can also go for a nice stroll through the vineyard at the winery location and I will have guided tours also.

Any additional services like food, weddings, wine bar, etc would take place in a new larger building and may or may not ever happen.

Do you have to have any extra special food license to serve those little wine crackers?

Nice to have something to nibble on between samplings to cleanse the palette.

Some of the wineries around here will have a small jazz band or guitarist come in on a weekend or Friday evening. They coordinate it with a local restaurant that will also bring in free snacks or soup for the patrons to taste.

runningwolf said:
Some of the wineries around here will have a small jazz band or guitarist come in on a weekend or Friday evening. They coordinate it with a local restaurant that will also bring in free snacks or soup for the patrons to taste.

A couple weeks ago I had an e-mail from a violinist saying he was booking for the upcoming season and he would like to come up. I need to sell a bit of wine before I go there!

appleman said:
Yes Al I have some seats. I set them at the bar because it was a clean area in the room. No I am not going to have food. This is not a "Wine Bar". I will have a couple pub tables that the stools will go to. I will encourage people to stop by and linger a while to enjoy themselves. I don't want them to come in the door, sample a couple wines and leave, but rather come and have a nice stay. I feel this is especially important for people that may travel some distance. I want them to come in, have a few small samples, chat and see what I have to offer.

In the spring, summer and fall, they will also be able to sit out on the patio and maybe have a picnic lunch they might bring. They can also go for a nice stroll through the vineyard at the winery location and I will have guided tours also.

Any additional services like food, weddings, wine bar, etc would take place in a new larger building and may or may not ever happen.
My local winerysells a small disposable plate with a few cold cuts, cheese, and crackers on it. They keep them a frig. Very little prep time and no cleanup.

Rich.....it is my understanding for my area that prepackaged foods are ok as in chips and things...once you have to slice something it is a no no...slicing etc means food prep and utensils and such and now you are in a new league....so you have to apply for other permits

....also seating is something to look into..because when a person actually sits down w a food item....new rules often apply..not always..and not trying to be an alarmist....just trying to protect you...each state varies in what is allowed as does each community

Al Fulchino said:
Rich.....it is my understanding for my area that prepackaged foods are ok as in chips and things...once you have to slice something it is a no no...slicing etc means food prep and utensils and such and now you are in a new league....so you have to apply for other permits

....also seating is something to look into..because when a person actually sits down w a food item....new rules often apply..not always..and not trying to be an alarmist....just trying to protect you...each state varies in what is allowed as does each community

How do they stand on CHEESE WHIZ ON A RITZ CRACKER?
smiley36.gif

Al Fulchino said:
Isn't one of those regulations commercial restrooms?

I'm keeping this all simple guys. I don't need or want too many regulations. As far as I know, in NY we are allowed chairs. If someone comes and tells me otherwise that is in authority, I will listen. If I don't offer food, they aren't sitting down with food. That said, it is in the law that as a farm winery in NY we are allowed to offer snack type food that needs nor requires eating utensils. I can find no references to disallowing seating.

76-a
4. (a) A farm winery license shall authorize the holder thereof to
manufacture, bottle and sell fruit juice, fruit jellies and fruit
preserves, tonics, salad dressings and unpotable wine sauces on and from the licensed premises.
(b) Such license shall authorize the holder thereof to store and sell
gift items in a tax-paid room upon the licensed premises incidental to
the sale of wine. These gift items shall be limited to the following
categories:
(1) Non-alcoholic beverages for consumption on or off premises,
including but not limited to bottled water, juice and soda beverages.

(2) Food items for the purpose of complimenting wine tastings, shall
mean a diversified selection of food which is ordinarily consumed
without the use of tableware and can conveniently be consumed while standing or walking. Such food items shall include but not be limited to: cheeses, fruits, vegetables, chocolates, breads and crackers.

(3) Food items, which shall include locally produced farm products and
any food or food product not specifically prepared for immediate
consumption upon the premises. Such food items may be combined into a package containing wine or a wine product.

"2) Food items for the purpose of complimenting wine tastings, shall
mean a diversified selection of food which is ordinarily consumed

without the use of tableware and can conveniently be consumed
while standing or walking. Such food items shall include but not be
limited to: cheeses, fruits, vegetables, chocolates, breads and
crackers."

exactly....and no where is there mention of a seat....it states standing or walking...

I want people to be comfortable while they visit. In NY many tasting rooms have chairs. If I ever want to offer food, it will be in a new building with a regular dining area.

Rich that bar looks great. Can't wait to see thepics oftasting room once it is decored.

Latest posts

Back