WineXpert carboy to carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatster

Junior
Reaction score
OK here goes..Kit os a Grand Cru Internation Collection...California Chardonay...first white wine kit I made...have made three red so real new at this....Now I have moved from primary to secondary carboy and added all the packets in kit and topped up . Notice after two days that there are lots of sediment as wine clears. I want to move to another carboy. Do I top up again with some wine as I will lose a bit during changeover because of the sediment.

You can do one of the following or all three I guess

1. <LI>Top off with like wine
    <LI>add marbles to fill up the space
    <LI>add water</LI>

Edited by: Angell Wine

Or get a 5 gallon carboy so as that you will not need to top up.

However you do it, make sure you wait the prescribed time before moving it. Those ingredients you added are needed to clear the wine and if yo rack too soon you will be removing them to soon before they finish their job. If it says to wait two weeks, wait two weeks. You will see some sediment after a couple days, but it will continue to add to them for a couple weeks. They may say it may be bottled then, but you can rack to another varboy at that time and let it age some before bottling. Edited by: appleman

Somebodies been hitting the hooch already, what the heck is a varboy, does George sell these yet?
smiley36.gif
smiley4.gif

For that brand of kit you add all of the packets when you move from primary to secondary? Does those brands ferment to dry in the primary bucket as opposed to the Wine Expert kits where you ferment to 1.010 and transfer to glass for secondary fermentation then when the wine reaches .990 you add the packets to stabilize and then degass and top up? Just wondering. Seems like you are missing a step there but I have never made that brand.

The answer to your question though is Yes, you need to top upor use other methods to protect the wine from oxygen exposure such as those listed.

Smurfe Edited by: smurfe

appleman....you r correct. I should wait for another week or so. Question now is by that time fermentation will be complete and therefore what will protect the wine from oxygen ?

smurfe...yes this kit ferments in the primary until 0.998 then u move to secondary abd add the pkgs,

Wade, a Varboy is a variable size carboy, kinda like the floating lid fermenters
smiley8.gif
smiley36.gif

Perhaps I need to get into the hooch, although I have seen a typo or two from others
smiley2.gif
smiley29.gif

Goatster- you will probably still get a little fermentation at .998,but to be safe- top up if it says to. ALWAYS FOLLOW DIRECTIONS.

Latest posts

Back