Finer Wine Kit Refermenting after adding conditioner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ericphotoart

Reaction score
I was fermenting FWK Black Cherry. After 15 days and reaching FG 0.996 (for 2 days didn’t move) I added packet D and superkleer. I degassed pretty well too. I added I bag of conditioner that contains sorbate. 2 days later I noticed it is still bubbling in the carboy. What did I do wrong? Should I wait longer after getting 0.996? I’m not experienced with kits. This is my 3rd kit but I fermented a lot of country wines and after adding kmeta and 1/2 tsp per gallon of sorbate my wines never started to ferment.

The sorbate in the conditioner is only enough to keep the conditioner from fermenting prior to use. It is not enough to protect the batch. IIRC, Packet D is K-meta/sorbate, so the wine should be protected.

What was the SG readings before and after adding the conditioner, and what is it now? If the SG has not dropped since adding the conditioner, it's not fermenting.

I didn't measure SG after adding the conditioner but I measured SG now and it is still 1.002 so it looks like there is no fermentation just degassing. I will just wait a few weeks to fully degass by itself I think I should be fine. Thanks for helping. This forum is awesome.

Here is an update on my FWK Black Cherry. SG still the same 1.002 but the wine is still degassing. I can see tiny bubbles traveling up to the neck. So it is 17 days after manually degassing, adding superkleer, packet D and 1 pack of conditioner. Did anyone experience the same with FWK?

What @Hazelemere said. Don't touch or even look at the wine for 3 months.

@Ericphotoart, to answer the question you asked in your original post -- yes, you are doing something wrong.

You're fretting about a wine that is fine -- it just needs time. Ignore it for 3 months and you will see that.

Thanks. I guess I'm still learning the "P" part of winemaking.
Other than a week or 3 up front, winemaking is a procrastinator's hobby.

It's not easy to train yourself to not watch the pot boil. VERY few things in winemaking, e.g., H2S, require immediate action. Once past fermentation and clearing, most of my activity is checking airlocks weekly and topping barrels monthly. If you are craving excitement, I suggest climbing the stairs to Huayna Picchu.

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/post-a-meme-any-meme-no-politics.64837/post-865783

Back