Carboy Piggy Bank

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubVet

Fast Boat Sailor
Reaction score
I got a 5 gal carboy fo-free!

Down side is that it held coins in it for the last 25 years.
(I guess the real down side is the coins didn't come with it.)

I was a good do-be and searched for write-up's on the subject. As I suspected, I have already tried everything (and more).

-Hot Water
-PBW, EasyClean, 1Step
-Brush on a stick
-Other oxygen based cleaner
-Baking Soda & Vinegar

There are a couple of spots where the oxidized coins left residue that I just can't seem to remove.
Anyone have any other ideas?
Should I have concerns about scratches inside?

Thanks, I might give that a try if I break down and want to spend money.

I was sitting there thinking "dang I wish I could sand-blast it" and I came up with an idea.
The carboy was completely dry, so I poured some salt in there and shook it like a mad man. That sucker is heavy, but I got a lot of it off. The salt worked like a sand blaster (or kinda like a rock polisher) and eroded the corrosion deposits.

After rinsing there are still a couple of small spots, so I think I'll try using coke next.

Anyone else have an idea that doesn't involve money?

nice!

I wish I thought of that while I was rolling and shaking that thing around my living room last night, hahaha

How about filling it with water and oxy-clean, Clorox free, and letting it sit a couple of hours. Fill it to the neck.

Next time you put the salt in, add some ice cubes with it. Bunch of ice chips and salt will clean most thing out of your carboy. Arne.

Ok...

I put a few cups of cracked corn in there and agitated the carboy...it worked.

Glass is funny stuff. Scratches and dings might indicate a weak spot. Careful how you handle it! Plenty of stories here about oops's and close calls..

Latest posts

Back