Other California Muscat

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waldo,

That blend sounds interesting. What was the mixture? 50-50 or something else? I still have a can of Muscat and I was going to do another Zin-Muscat blend, but I can be flexible.

Racked this Zin-Muscat wine again yesterday (4-18) and ended up with a 5 gallon, 2 one gallons and a half gallon plus about a full 750 ml bottle that did not last through the night! It is young but the taste is great and as I remember Steve's wine, it is very similar. My wife loves it. The color is beautiful, almost black! If I can keep my hands off it, I will next sample it in about 6 months.

I have another can of Muscat concentrate and I am about to start another batch. In the first batch, I mixed (blended) the juices before fermentation. I may try fermenting and then blending the next time. Any thoughts on whether that would be worth the extra effort? Thanks.

I have a red zin and a muscat both from Chile. How do you feel about blending these two?

Rocky to answer your question, I like to ferment separately and then blend after stabilizing. This way I can do bench trails and see what % of each I like best. You have better control this way.

My blend is based on the homemade wine we used to make many years ago. We blended Zinfandel grapes and Muscat grapes in a 3:1 ratio and that is what I used when I made this wine, so it is roughly 75% Zin and 25% Muscat. The wine tastes great already and reminds me of some of the really big Tuscans that I had in Italy.So I would have to say that blending before fermenting worked for me.

In my next batch (just for comparison) I will probably make two separate wines and then blend them, as you suggest.

Latest posts

Back