Bulk Aging and Oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovinewines

Reaction score
I have a VR World Vineyard Aust. Shiraz that is toward the end of its stabilizing/clearing stage.

I've decided I want to add oak to this. I have 3oz of the American Oak (House Toast).

My question is since I'm going to rack from my clearing carboy to my "bulk age" carboy (the one I'm going to oak with), should I consider adding any additional k-meta at this point since it'll probably be in this next carboy for a month (maybe)?

It wouldn't hurt to add it for bulk aging. You might want to check after aging for free SO2 after that and you may need to add more then for extended bottle aging.

Seeing as how you just added meta right at stabilizing it isnt necessary but you could. i always add it after bulk aging right before bottling. It can be done either way though.

Yeah..I'm running a test on my free SO2 and it looks like I'm around 30ppm...so I'm happy with that...

I've very pleased with how this particular Shiraz turned out. Great color....nice easy "bright" taste.

Maybe I won't oak....

smiley5.gif

Back