Cellar Craft Bulk againg question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keebler71

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm working on my second batch - a CC Red Mountain Cab. Based on some of the comments I have found here and elsewhere I'd like to bulk age it but this of course is a deviations for the instructions. The standard instructions call for:

Day 1) Primary Fermentation (with first oak treatment)
Day 10-12) Secondary Fermentation
Day 20-22) Clearing (with second oak treatment)
Day 42-33) Bottling

Curious how best to inject a bulk aging period into this? Should I proceed through the clearing phase (adding the oak, and clearing agents) and at the end of this phase (somewhere around day 42-44) rack again into the carboy that I want to bulk age in? Should I keep the oak cubes in the wine for the bulk aging or only use them for the 20 or so days in the 'clearing' step? At the end of the clearing phase, the directions don't call for any sulphite treatments before bottling. Since I'll be bulk aging, shouldn't I add some here and what amount? Any other tips you'd suggest? Thanks in advance for the help!

Scott

I would follow the directions up to just before bottling. If you have no way of testing for s02 I would continue to add 1/4 tsp every 90 days. There is no need to rack again unless if you have sediment in the carboy.

With my very limited experience I agree with Dan. First few kits stick as closely to instructions as you can. Even if you do have a little sediment during bulk aging you will leave it behind at bottling. In fact many folks rack to clean bucket or carboy at bottling in order to avoid that last little bit of sediment. Good luck with your patience.

I agree with dan except would I go 4 months before adding any more sulfite. I would not add another dose before doing the bulk aging though as you just added it not long ago, just wait 4 months until you add any more.

Thanks for the tips... I'm still a bit confused about the sulphite though.... the kit instructions have me adding a pre-measured packet of potassium metabisulphite somewhere around day 20-22 with no further sulphite treatments period. I've got inputs ranging from 1/4 tsp per month (total for six gallons?) to none until 4 months. Anyone want to be a tie breaker? :)

Another stupid question: when people say they are bulk aging for "six months" do they mean six months since they started primary or no kidding, six months after clearing? Thanks again!

1/4 tsp / six gallons 3-4 months after you've added it the 1st time. You don't want to not have it for 4-5 months as bad things could happen.

Keebler,

One thing that was not mentioned is that you have to keep an eye on the airlock to make sure it don't go dry on you. I have bulk aged for as long as 1 year on some of my Limited Edition wines. Once thing that does, is it stops you from taking to many sample drinks to see how it is doing

Happy Fermenting
Ludo

If a wine is bottled and corked you have no way to add sulphite to the bottles.

So, why would you do that when it is in the carboy ????
As long as the airlock does not run dry (like stated above) there will be little chance of spoiling if no air gets to your wine.

Only add some before you bottle or when you rack, and at racking just every other time.

Luc

Latest posts

Back