Other Bucket size

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I typically buy juice in 6 gallon buckets from a local shop and ferment in same. Never had any overflow issues. Today I ordered the Super Tuscan Finer Wine Kit from Label Peelers. According to Label Peelers, it will produce 6 gallons of wine after adding five gallons of water. I plan to add 4-4.5 gallons of water and ferment in a 7 gallon bucket. I am hoping less water will make a better wine and I won't have to be concerned about overflow. Are my thoughts correct?

I typically buy juice in 6 gallon buckets from a local shop and ferment in same. Never had any overflow issues. Today I ordered the Super Tuscan Finer Wine Kit from Label Peelers. According to Label Peelers, it will produce 6 gallons of wine after adding five gallons of water. I plan to add 4-4.5 gallons of water and ferment in a 7 gallon bucket. I am hoping less water will make a better wine and I won't have to be concerned about overflow. Are my thoughts correct?
No. Good quality kits are designed to be reconstituted to a specific volume, typically 23 liters. If you short the water, you are increasing the acid and sugar, throwing the kit off balance.

Although I have shorted water in the past, in recent years I've had 2 kits turn out overly acidic. If it's from RJS, WE, or FWK, reconstitute to 23 liters.

Cheap kits may be a different thing, but I'm in favor of adding to kits to upgrade them, not take away.

No. Good quality kits are designed to be reconstituted to a specific volume, typically 23 liters. If you short the water, you are increasing the acid and sugar, throwing the kit off balance.

Although I have shorted water in the past, in recent years I've had 2 kits turn out overly acidic. If it's from RJS, WE, or FWK, reconstitute to 23 liters.

Cheap kits may be a different thing, but I'm in favor of adding to kits to upgrade them, not take away.

OK...You make some good points. Thanks. What if I split the 23 liters into two buckets?

For folks in the USA, Lowes Home Improvement carries 10 gallon white brutes (no lid) for $22.50 USD, and grey with a lid for $20.

I thought they made 12 and 16 gallon, but according to Rubbermaid's site, it's 10, 20, 28, 32, 44, and 55 gallon.

I just made a 7 gallon Elderberry in a 32 gallon Brute, as my purpose made primaries are too small. I need to get a 10 gallon .....

LabelPeelers has a 10 gallon fermenter with lid for $41, and their prices are competitive, so I'd not expect to find one much cheaper. The big difference between the Brute and a purpose made fermenter is that the lid of the Brute will not be air tight.
Are the buckets at Lowes food grade?

What is your definition of lower fermenting temperatures?
I first check the temperature range for the yeast I'm using to make sure I stay within that range. For example, I believe EC1118 has a minimum of 50 degrees. So I shoot for around 60, and if it doesn't start to ferment within a day or two, I bump the temp up a couple of degrees. I've go three going now that range between 56 and 67.

I ferment at 68, my house temp. I know it could be done in the upper 50s, I'd consider that low. But also in the 80s and 90s which would be high.
68 F is great. Last fall my reds fermented at 63-66 F, and I've fermented as cold as 58 F (white took 3 weeks to ferment).

OK...You make some good points. Thanks. What if I split the 23 liters into two buckets?
You need to reconstitute the kit in one container, else it's not going to work. My recent experience is that regardless of how much I stir a kit, the following day the SG is different, meaning the kit was not as mixed as I thought it was. The kit continues to blend after I finish, so the FWK process of adding a starter 24 hours later helps with ensuring the kit is mixed.

My suggestion is to reconstitute the kit in one container. Let it set 24 hours. Then pump half into another bucket, and split the starter between the 2.

I can (and just did) lift 7 gallons of wine onto a counter from the floor. However, I'm pushing 60 and the handwriting is on the wall -- at some point this is a no-go. And as folks who have 40 in the rear view mirror may understand, it's not always what you CAN do, it's what you SHOULD do. Frelling your back or dropping a batch is not good! I'm starting to use a pump for what I consider a small batch. It's simply a good idea.

I never put the lid on during the first part of ferment. Wine or beer. I will place a piece of cloth (clean old sheet) on top and secure with a bungee. You can just lay the lid on top of that if you wish.
Extended Maceration (EM) is getting more common, and to do that safely requires a tight seal. The inability to make a wine fermenter air tight is not a problem unless doing EM. I ferment with a towel on top of the fermenter, although beer is sealed immediately (it was how I was taught).

Are the buckets at Lowes food grade?
Rubber Maid Brutes are good enough food grade for fermentation. Personally, I don't trust plastic for long term storage, sticking with glass or barrels, although I'd do stainless if I made a large enough batch.

Before I get screwed up, is this enough room to do a double skin kit. This is 6 gallons of water.
I have another bucket but the inside seams slightly roughed up. I can feel it. Im concerned with infection . Should I worry or is that more for beer? I already did a kit in it and it seems ok as of now. Its only been 3 months though.
I sure the pic of the inside is useless but I attached it
In this case size matters much larger fermentation container to avoid over flowing and fermentation run off.

What is your definition of lower fermenting temperatures?
I ferment whites and rose' in the 47 to 52F range. I will start fermentation in the lower 60s to get thing going and then drop the temp to help capture those light weight components that hit you in the nose when you smell a wine that normally would be driven off when fermentation starts to heat things up. Fermentation is an exothermic reaction and will change the conditions in your fermenter if not controlled.

With red grapes, I do a cold soak at 47F on the skins with pectic enzyme to help the skins release both color and flavor. Then let things warm up to 65F in two to three days to start primary fermentation. Bring things to the mid 70s to get fermentation to finish when the sugars get into the 5% range and the yeast starts to struggle because of the alcohol.

I make wine on a larger scale then most home wine makers, in the 55 to 80 gallon tank size. I live in the Lodi, Ca AVA and can source fruit for free most of the time in return for my wine. I bought a Micromatic glycol chiller a decade ago and learned how to use it. On a small scale, dry Ice is a alternative that can be used to control things. I have made a 5 gallon carboy batch of a Montepulciano Rose' in my wine cellar at 58F, that took Best of Show Rose' at the California State Fair a few years ago.

Back