Broken

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmahoney

Reaction score
Well lets make this the only mishap in the year 2007.
smiley19.gif
Yesterday I asked the question, with wade answering, about the MM Amarone I've been working with. The instructions saidon the 12th day take the S.G.........and alsothe 20th day.... making sure that the fermentation is complete. Fermentation is completewhen S.G. reaches .995 or less and no bubbling. I took the S.G. onthe 6th day and found a .990. Taking it twice so as not to misread the hydrometer and there is no action in the carboy.
With Wades thankful help, it was decided to wait until today and read it again. If the reading is the same or lower I should go ahead with the racking, and add the additional ingredients. Not to worry!
smiley1.gif

Today as I started to get my supplies ready I dropped the hydrometer. BROKEN!
smiley19.gif
Not having another. Do, I go ahead and rack adding the additional ingredients for the next step. There is no action in the carboy.

Or do I wait until I can get the hydrometer from George through the mail? Probably should receive it by Thursday or Friday if i get the order in today/tomorrow.

smiley19.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley18.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley18.gif

If the SG is lower you would not want to proceed as it would still
be fermenting. Only when it is stable(still) for a few days is it ready
for next step. I would personally wait until stabilization is confirmed.
Edited by: wade

Thanks Wade! I sure like this forum. No matter what I run into someone is out there ready to help! Weather it is a small matter, or just to help us make sure we are on the right track. You guys are all great! Thanks

I broke my racking cane right at the bend Sat. but it was just
long enough still to get the job done. They really need to design these
things so as that they dont have to be stressed to get into a carboy
unless its just mine that I have to struggle to get it inwithout
snapping it. It was my first broken cane but I do know a few friends
that have done this much earlier and thats why I took great care as to
be careful not to do this but it is pretty cold in my basement and I
think that contributed to breaking of this.

I'm the princess of broken hydrometers.
smiley19.gif
We like to have at least 2 on hand, because we all know that I'll break more!
smiley36.gif

I've placed an order for two hydrometers from George! I always had the thought of purchasing another one from George, and just didn't get around to it. NOW! I'll be ready! Edited by: jsmahoney

If your reading is .990 you probably could have racked it safely, but why not wait if it was only day 6 or so. It probably won't go any drier, but certainly shouldn't hurt to go until later in the week. I finally broke one more about a month ago. After buying several to have on hand, I went for a year before breaking this one recently.

If you had consecutive readings of .990 at a proper temperature, it is fine to rack. It isn't going to hurt IMHO to wait though. I don't think it is going to go any lower.I have never made that brand of kit though. I am sure someone who has made one will chime it.

Smurfe

Janet,

I will be out of the store tomorrow as our father is back in the hospital. He gets out tomorrow. I have asked Mark to make sure to get your order out, but if you have time, you might give him a friendly reminder. He has a lot to process tomorrow. I hope he is not overwhelmed. I will be back on Wednesday.

George,,,,,,Your father comes first!!!!! If the order isn't processed tomorrow, the wine can wait, I can wait. You and your family comes first especially at this time of need with your father. My prays are with you, your family and a special pray for your father.

smurfe said:
If you had consecutive readings of .990 at a proper
temperature, it is fine to rack. It isn't going to hurt IMHO to wait
though. I don't think it is going to go any lower.I have never
made that brand of kit though. I am sure someone who has made one will
chime it.

Smurfe

Theoretically that # pretty much says its done but seeing as how she
does not have consecutive readings, only 2 readings done at the same
time not believing what she has just read the first time, I said to
play it safe and make sure, especially on such an expensive kit, one
that I would not want to make a mistake on.

Janet,
Thanks for your understanding and your prayers. Mark will still do his best to get yours and the other orders out, but it will probably take us the better part of the week to get caught up, as we have a shipment from Mosti due in tomorrow and most of it is due to go back out. I have been so blessed with this business due to my wonderful customers that I do not want to start disappointing them now!

George,

The last thing you are is a disappointment.
Family comes first....always.

Peter

As you are, We are very forgiving to, ESPECIALLY when it comes to family and you are kind of like our father.
smiley36.gif

wade said:
As you are, We are very forgiving to, ESPECIALLY when it comes to family and you are kind of like our father.
smiley36.gif

HeyPops can I borrow the car and can you front me a few bucks so I can get somethingto eat!!!! Edited by: masta

You are the best!
smiley32.gif

Dad got out of the hospital today and he did not give me the car keys, but he did buy me a bottle of Chevas Regal. Offered a bottle of wine, but hell I can make that!

George, glad to here your Dad is out of the hospital. I hope everything is ok now. My prayers go out to your and yours.

Hmmm! What does that tell us about your dad not giving you the car keys? Especially, when one just gets out of the hospital they tend to want to rest and let someone else do the driving!!!!!!!
smiley36.gif
I'm glad he is out of the hospital as I'm sure he is glad to be out also.
smiley31.gif

Masta - I hear that on a regular basis - he even calls me Pops.

George - You could make Chivas Geo with one of those "essence extraction" thingies.

My son Joshua calls me pops and whenever he needs something...
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back