brewers belt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do and several others do here as well. I beleive you will find that the recommendation be not to place it on a cold carboy. I've had no problems so far.

I have been using a brewers belt on 5 gal to 6 1/2 gal glass carboys to brew beer for 15 years. What you want to pick up is a 120 volt light dimmer with an external pug like the ones you can buy for table lamps. This will allow you to control the voltage that passes through the heating element in the belt and control the heat generated by the belt, and the temperature. With a little daily adjustment you can control the temperature within a degree.

I the case that your fermentation area is too warm. Sit your carboy in a pan of water and cover it with a old wet T-shirt the cotton will draw water from the pan which will evaporate and cool the carboy. If you need more cooling add a small fan to speed evaporation. I have been able to achieve a 10 to 12 degree drop from room temperature using this method which is useful for fermenting Lager style beer.

If you're just fermenting wine you'll be fine with the belt. I know temp is more critical for brewing but for fermenting I would not add the rheostat to it. Temps can be controlled by placement on the carboy. The lower it is placed the warmer your carboy will be. I have never had one get above 78*.

Thanks so much for the info. Just getting started but having lots of fun. This is a great site.

If you're just fermenting wine you'll be fine with the belt. I know temp is more critical for brewing but for fermenting I would not add the rheostat to it. Temps can be controlled by placement on the carboy. The lower it is placed the warmer your carboy will be. I have never had one get above 78*.

In the winter I occasionally use a brewers belt because where I ferment is between 62-63 degrees and sometimes I need a little heat boost to achieve the fermentation temperature range I desire. However, I don't ferment anything beer, wine, or mead at 78 degrees.

We all know heat rises and cold settles to the bottom. When you boil water on a stove the heat comes from below and you control the heat with a rheostat or gas valve. This is how you achieve uniform temperature in your container. The same thing is true of a brewers belt, and that is why I place mine at around the bottom of the carboy and use a rheostat to help control the temperature. While a carboy is a rather small container it is taller than it is wide so why risk creating mini Thermocline by placing you heat source at the top of the carboy.

The process has worked quite well for me for many years and I wonder why you are so quick to dismiss my advise as I thought the purpose of this forum is to share idea's. Besides what is wrong with saving a few pennies on your electric bill.

Loumik

I have had my brewbelt raise the temp of wine in a caboy as high as 83* on more than one occasion with my work area being at 60-62*F. I think being able to control the temp of the brewbelt could be a good idea for those of us who have run into this problem in the past. Trying to maintain a temp between 70 and 75* is a pain when you can't be there all the time and I can't lower the temp any more.

The process has worked quite well for me for many years and I wonder why you are so quick to dismiss my advise as I thought the purpose of this forum is to share idea's. Besides what is wrong with saving a few pennies on your electric bill.

CB not dismissing your advice just giving my opinion. What works for one person does not always work for another just as Loumik just stated. Yes the forum is to share ideas just as I did mine and you did your's. If you read through every post in this forum you'll see different ideas and views for almost every topic. It is up to the original poster then to decide what would work best for them.

Yep, we each have our seperate ways in doing stuff. I usually turn my brew belt off partially through my fermentation. I turn it one in the beginning to get it going good and then shut it off during its vigourous period and then turn it back on around an sg off 1.020 or there abouts.

Brew Cozy

I had asked my friendly neighborhood homebrew store about a brewbelt, and they had told me to just put a blanket around it, that they warmth from the fermentation with the insulation of the blanket would keep it plenty warm enough. Being a quilter I made my own blanket that keeps it really cozy and generally gets the fermentation going (even in a room as cool as 60 degrees).

IMG_0211.jpg

I had asked my friendly neighborhood homebrew store about a brewbelt, and they had told me to just put a blanket around it, that they warmth from the fermentation with the insulation of the blanket would keep it plenty warm enough. Being a quilter I made my own blanket that keeps it really cozy and generally gets the fermentation going (even in a room as cool as 60 degrees).

Your homebrew guy is partially right. The fermentation does create heat, but without a proper starting temperature your fermentation may not start. You may also need a brew belt after fermentation to help degas and clear your wine if your basement is too cold.

By the way those quilts are pretty cool!

Yes Butt, if the temps are in the low 60's it will not help. You need to start off warm and brew belt will keep it warm and increase temp

Nice Quilts. You must have a lot of free time to make quilts for your "boys".
LOL

Thanks! Not so much free time, I think if I had more time on my hands, (working 40+ hours a week) I wouldn't be able to afford my hobbies! :)

Latest posts

Back