Other Home brew peach/mango Cider -- how to carbonate?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to use bottles rated for the carbonation pressure, such as champagne bottles or beer bottles.
great - thank you ! I'll disinfect some plastic soda bottles and see how that works .. this is all new to me. I usually just do straight wine kits!

Lookup the amount of sugar to use, as you can make a grenade if you use too much.

If this is something you're going to repeat, getting a crown capper may be useful. My son has made cider and he puts it in pop-top bear bottles (can't use twist off bottles).

You can also obtain what are called carbonation drops. These are candy-like pieces of sugar made with a very specific amount of fermentable sugar - just enough to produce a known amount of carbon dioxide when the yeast ferments that sugar. Note, when you add these "drops" in an appropriate bottle - and by appropriate, I mean a bottle whose walls have been designed to withstand the pressure the gas will exert on the glass and with the kind of closure that will not fly off given the pressure inside the bottle - we are ignoring the few points of additional alcohol and are focused only on the CO2 the yeast produce. Realize, that all fermentation results in the production of ethanol (alcohol) AND CO2. Indeed, half the WEIGHT of the sugar you start with will become CO2, and for still wines, all that gas is encouraged to escape. For sparkling wines, we still encourage all the CO2 associated with the primary fermentation to escape and we want to trap inside the bottle only the CO2 produced as we "prime" the bottles with "drops", or known and very specific amounts of sugar to produce around 45 psi of pressure. Champagne is around 80 PSI. Your car tire is - what 35 -36 PSI

Latest posts

Back