BLACKBERRY WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I started my first batch of Blackberry wine(1gal.) last August and bottled last October. The result prior to bottling was a nice blackberry aroma but a slight tang to the taste. I wasn't happy about that.

My second batch (6gal.) will start this December and my end goal is to produce a dark red, slightly sweet, aromatic Blackberry (similar to a white zin but darker). To this end I'm utilizing two, 96oz.VINTNERS HARVEST BLACKBERRY WINE BASE cans and would appreciate any advice or suggestions on this process that will lead toward my desired goal.

By keeping you starting SG a bit lower resulting in a bit lower alcohol content you can bring forward the fruity taste and aroma of the blackberry. Many make the mistake with a fruit wine (me included) and start with an SG that boosts the alcohol content to a level where it overpowers the fruit and gives you a "hot" tasting wine.

Another factor that can affect the end results you desire is the type of yeast used for fermentation. I would recommend a Côte des Blancs for a raspberry or blackberry wine. It is a lower tolerance fermenter and brings out the bouquet in a fruit wine. You may want to lightly oak the wine as well.

One last thing in regards to the semi sweetness you desire. Ferment to dry, stabilize and back sweeten. Use a simple sugar syrup a little at a time to sweeten. Go easy and taste a lot till you get it where you want. I tend to try to sweeten just a tad less sweet than I desire as after the wine conditions itself in the bottle, the sweetness will be well concentrated into the wine. It is easier to add a little more as opposed to too much sweetness. Just take it slow and consistent while sweetening.

I am no where near an expert on this. Hopefully Bill B or Waldo will chime in here with their expert advise. Those fellows make fantastic fruit wines.

I assume that by lightening up on the original sugar quantity called for in the recipe I will get a lower SG. The question then would be, what does "lower" mean?
As far as yeast is concerned, I did a little research on this and as pertains to Blackberry wines,the result was Premièr CuvéeRed Star.
I've only recently read of the "oaking" technique and as such, am curious as to what it will do for my wine.
The more I read on "sweetening to taste" the more I wish I'd done that with the first 5 bottles. Hey. Live and learn huh.

Higher alc.can work with blackberry but you have to have lots of berrys,or it will be out of balance.I havent used the VH blackberry but most use 2 cans for 5 or 6 gallons.I made a 6 gallon batch with 18 pounds of berrys and did a 2nd addition of sugar for a total of 20 pounds.I used 1118,and it fermented dry,and does not taste hot.It will have to age for a year because it has lots of flavor,and tannins,and still has some blackberry bite to it.Its been in the bottle for 3 months,and i opened one this week to see how its doing.I would start with a SG of 1085-1090,and it should be balanced pretty well.

You may have rushed to bottle, that tang may just be from gas, are there any bubbles if you shake the bottle? Aging helps out a lot. Crackedcork

I made a batch of VH Blackberry and added 2 bottles of WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate...it was very nice but did have a sulfer smell for awhile...might have been from the yeast type....I used RC-212 and it cancause problems.

I agree that 2 cans would make a better wine. The VH Black Currant made an excellent wine...everyone recommended it and it is tops on our list.

It was bulk aged for 3 months,and degassed good before bottling.It just has that young blackberry bite.It should be really good at a year.

Actually Handyman, Ive read that Lalvin 71B is best for blackberry as it consumes more of the malic acid that blackberries are very high in.

I have used 71-B 1122 on blackberry before.It does well,gives a good flavor,and makes the wine drinkable faster because of the malic reduction.
This is a good one to use if your doing a port style,because it tames down the acid.

Latest posts

Back