Been Shrimping

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that's shrimp!!!! Two of them would make a meal. When they get that big are they still tender and flavorful?

Very cool. Anxious to hear the rest of the story. How many, are they as good as the small ones and how did you cook them? Thanks for sharing.

Awsome.. That is a shrimp you can toss on the barbie. How many did you get?

Asian Tiger Shrimp

Code:
Thought That picture might get a few of you anxious to light the"Ba Bee"
Over thirty years of shrimping and that is a first. Along the Carolina coast this species has appeared and has been declared an invasive species. There is speculation as to where they come from and the stories vary from cruise ships to an individual raising or farming them for a offshore market or personal use.
In any case it is an interesting read if one would google invasive Tiger Shrimp in the Carolinas. These beauties are a foot long or bigger and generally run a 4 count or four to a pound. I caught this one in a cast net in about three feet of water while casting to catch bait shrimp in Broad Creek in Carteret County, NC
Just before first light so I could not see very well. set the net on the flounder deck of the 28ft Carolina Skiff we were on and thought it was a lobster.
My fishing buddy and co worker of these many years measured it and it was 11 3/4 inches and weighed 1/4 lb. He was having family night that night with the grill going and friends and family over so I told him that would be more of an interesting destination for what we had dubbed Gran Ma Shrimp.
After research we discovered the real fact about the " Giant Shrimp Invasion"
Joes grand son ran to the frig and pulled out the giant shrimp a couple dozen times that night, I guess he is 4 or so and this was a fabulous adventure for him. Anyway grand dad and Kane cleaned the Giant, Super, Colossal, Monster Shrimp together, placed her above the hot coals and savored ever second as she became red and toasty. Every one at the party gathered around or sashayed past the grill to take a peak. Kane soon began to realize everyone was looking at HIS! -Giant, Super, Colossal well you get picture. Good thing Joe grilled up a pork roast, cause no one but Kane got any shrimp. He proudly took the beast off to a secluded spot and devoured the quarter pounder, shrimp that is. Oh Grand Dad did squirrel off a lil piece to confirm it was palatable.
Well that's my Kane was able, to eat the shrimp story, another Carteret Couny folk tale in the making.
The picture was actually taken while out on the boat that day Trout fishing. the location was a sweat little trout hole up in the White Oak River. We caught a few that day but released them all. The next day we went to the Rock Jetty just off Cape Lookout,NC and caught some trout near citation size. I guess that's another story. Gods peace be with you folks and talk at you soon. :fsh

Last edited:
That is a good story Sevenal :D

Dang, I wish I could get my hands on some shrimp like that... 2 of those and a steak, roasted over some coals, would be a fine meal :sm

Don't forget to get to take a kid fishing

Make memories for our kids, other than tv, computers, and video games.

Latest posts

Back