Other RQ and LE sale!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice, thanks for the tip! Just bought the 2021 Garnacha-Carignan one (only to see Rocky's message that it was $5 cheaper at Label Peelers) and the 2022 Monastrell one (which also includes grape skins per RJS's site - to @wineview 's question). Never bought from them before but love the prices and free shipping.

As far as the age of the kits, I'm not worried, I made the 21 Marselan in July of 22 and still have it bulk ageing. It tastes great. I just did a quick wine thief comparison of that Marselan, 3 FWKs (pinot, zin, and sangiovese), and wine from grapes I picked (mourvedre), and I did not get any "kit taste" from the Marselan compared to the other wines.

LA ZAMBRA

This unique, spectacular, and ancient Spanish performance is rooted in many cultures, yet has survived against all odds in Spain. La Zambra’s Monastrell will seduce you, and fan your passion with its ruby flush, and earthy flavours. La Zambra is set to enthrall – to charm at every celebration, striking perfect harmony with an intensity that cannot be denied – ¡Olé!

MONASTRELL | SPAIN
Fragrant aromas of black cherry and candied fruit are present in this medium-bodied, dry wine, with an earthy, and herbaceous finish.

Oak: Medium | Sweetness: Dry | Body: Medium

Features:
GenuWine Winery Dried Grape Skins
, Bourgovin RC 212 yeast, French Oak Chips, and 30 labels & capsules.

EDIT - I saw that OHio sales tax initially appeared when I added items to my cart and thought I'd been charged this (which Label Peelers has never charged me), however, once I entered shipping info and paid it had vanished.
Did you get the free shipping on your order? I compared prices with Labelpeelers and after adding in shipping the ones on sale were significantly cheaper

Did you get the free shipping on your order? I compared prices with Labelpeelers and after adding in shipping the ones on sale were significantly cheaper
I got free shipping from Homebrew Ohio, paid exactly $99.99 for each kit, delivered, $199.98 total for two premium kits from varietals I really enjoy, both with skin packs. Great deal.

After, I placed the order I saw that @Rocky made a post about one of the wines I purchased being just $95 at Label Peelers and also including free shipping. So I might have overpaid by $4.99 total. Not going to lose sleep over it. Of course if Label Peelers were not offering free shipping (any more) then I came out ahead at Homebrew Ohio (they include it on all orders over $99.99, so with 2 kits I clearly was), as I live far from Ohio. It would be weird if you just ordered one kit for $99.99 and shipping was not free (one cent away), but if in that situation I'd just add a satchet of yeast or something similarly small/cheap that I needed.

Rocky's thread: WineXpert - 2021 LE on sale at Label Peelers

EDIT - just occurred to me that you may not know the Label Peelers trick, where you have to add the item to your cart to see the sale price. Which is $95.99. I did not go the next step to see if shipping was free or not. LP only has that one grenache-carignan LE on sale, I assume HO still has others. Sadly the Petite Verdot was sold out by the time I logged in last night.

Last edited:
Yes, both sites are offering the free shipping. LP's only has the one kit available however and I think HBO has six or more still available.

Yes, both sites are offering the free shipping. LP's only has the one kit available however and I think HBO has six or more still available.

Yeah, that was the clincher for me. I didn't want a red, and I preferred not to buy a 2-year-old kit. So I was grateful to @She'sgonnakillme for the HBO link.

Any of you tried this one? Wondering if I should pull the trigger

Winexpert LE21 Grenache Carignan
I’m late to this party. I started this kit on May 3, ‘22, and bottled it tonight. I added .9lb sugar (about 2 cups) to bring it to 1.100 SG. Followed instructions and bulk aged for two rackings (after clearing). Oh yeah, I added 2 oz of French oak med toast at the last racking and 5 oz of glycerine and Kmeta at bottling.

The taste is good. Not over oaked and nice fruity taste so far, but needs more time in the bottle to settle as there remains a bit of young taste (kit taste). I’ll let it bottle age until summer and will uncork one of the bottles (of 28) to see what’s next. I suspect this fall it will be good and winter it will hit its stride.

I hope you pulled the plug and bought one.

So my hesitancy to make a purchase would stem from the fact that these sound like pasteurized kits which in my opinion lend to that “kit” taste. Thoughts?
Yes, that's right about the kit taste. I'd rather buy better stuff than get a deal because the kit taste doesn't ever go away for me.

Label Peelers is having a sale as well, so the FWKs are $139 for Forte, $111 for Tavola, $90 for Frutta, and $99 for whites and blushes.

The '22 RQ Monastrell kit I ordered has a small hole in the juice bag that leaked a little in the box it came in. There doesn't seem to be a significant loss of concentrate. Would you return it or use it?

Another kit is on the way. Thanks for the correction and the opportunity to save.

I have a batch of this that I started on 2-17-23. SGi was 1.088 and I just took it a minute ago and it is SG 0.994 and still fermenting very slowly. Taste is great considering the age. I think it may end at SGf 0.992 which would imply an ABV of just over 12.5%. Should be a nice drinker and not knock your hat into the creek! I used a full packet of RC212 and half packet of EC1118. I will likely used a different yeast array on the next kit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back