Barrel thoughts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last year's Syrah is in mine now, just to break it in. Not worried about over oaking since it disappears after about a year in the bottle. About to pitch the yeast on my batch of Petit Syrah grapes. I did have to tighten the rings but it sealed really fast, I used boiling (near boiling) water using the pasteurization theory. My wife told me "you need more of them". For once, I agree lol

When emptied a week ago it was all swelled up and no leaks at all. Been sitting dry for a week. Spritzed some kmeta in a few times. Just haven’t had time to fill it up.

Will fill with water again to check before filling with wine.

But sitting dry for a week- no biggie right?

When emptied a week ago it was all swelled up and no leaks at all. Been sitting dry for a week. Spritzed some kmeta in a few times. Just haven’t had time to fill it up.

Probably not, but better safe than sorry. Fill with water, add meta/citric, let it sit in there til you fill it with wine.

You might want to consider sulfite sticks in case you ever run into the problem again. I should have brought you some. They are really cheap though. Commercial wineries use them all the time.

I almost did the same thing but held off, the sauv blanc is in the barrel as of 3pm this afternoon.

You might want to consider sulfite sticks in case you ever run into the problem again. I should have brought you some. They are really cheap though. Commercial wineries use them all the time.

Sulfur sticks and steam seem to be the two weapons of choice at the wineries. If I had steam generating capabilities, that’d be the route I’d go for barrel prep and sanitizing.

Thanks man. I knew the options for barrel storage w/o wine. The main reason for my question was because it was not planned to be empty for a week. If I knew it wasn’t gonna be filled I’d have handled appropriately.
My only concern/question now- after the fact- is if there are any problems with simply filling with sanitizer again before filling with wine.

* I tend to act on impulse often.

Thanks man. I knew the options for barrel storage w/o wine. The main reason for my question was because it was not planned to be empty for a week. If I knew it wasn’t gonna be filled I’d have handled appropriately.
My only concern/question now- after the fact- is if there are any problems with simply filling with sanitizer again before filling with wine.

* I tend to act on impulse often.

I can't see any reason why not. It's still a new barrel and would save you a weeks worth of oak.

Savignon blanc has been in the new barrel 10 days now. Going to give a taste tomorrow.

Read through some of the barrel info out there. morewinemaking.com and some others. But not sure what to do when racking out one wine and then in another.

Should I treat the barrel like a carboy and rinse out lees and treat with kmeta/citric solution? One site had a reference to clean after every other wine.

Pinotage is up next.

Savignon blanc has been in the new barrel 10 days now. Going to give a taste tomorrow.

Read through some of the barrel info out there. morewinemaking.com and some others. But not sure what to do when racking out one wine and then in another.

Should I treat the barrel like a carboy and rinse out lees and treat with kmeta/citric solution? One site had a reference to clean after every other wine.

Pinotage is up next.

I've always heard if ones coming out an one going in all thats necessary is to rinse out the lees.

Pinotage is up next.

I just rinse it out with very hot tap water.

Thanks all, that is what I figured, just wanted to double check being a barrel virgin and all.

After 14 days in new barrel sauvignon blanc is definately needing a little more oak. Going to leave another week and sample again. Maybe two.

I’m gonna tag along on this misc barrel convo.

1. How high are we supposed to be filling barrels? Leaving a hair of headspace? Logic tells me as little as possible. I filled it to the bung-essentially zero headspace. But now I find myself cleaning up overflow each day since I filled it.
Pressure changes I assume. Is this pretty common?

2. also I had the barrel filled with Kmeta/citric water twice/ maybe 10’days in total. No leaks after the first day. But I’ve got wine seeping out in one spot at the bottom of the head. Hoping this works itself out. Also normal?

IMG_6986.JPG

Back