Barrel thoughts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgentile

Still learning
Reaction score
Going to treat and process my new hungarian barrel(thanks @mainshipfred) this weekend. Read quite a bit and have no issue with getting the barrel ready. (Yet)

First wine in the barrel is going to be a sauvignon blanc. I know some wouldn't oak this but my oaked sauv blanc from last year was a hit and I want to try and repeat. It was 3 months on 4 oz med american oak chips.

The initial wine in the barrel will get a lot of oak, so this wine is going to need to kiss the barrel just right before over oaking it.

How often, once in barrel, do you think I should taste this? Daily? Weekly? Wait a few weeks then taste?

Last edited:
Going to treat and process my new hungarian barrel(thanks @mainshipfred) this weekend. Read quite a bit and have no issue with getting the barrel ready. (Yet)

First wine in the barrel is going to be a sauvignon blanc. I know some wouldn't oak this but my oaked sauv blanc from last year was a hit and I want to try and repeat. It was 3 months on 4 oz med american oak chips.

The initial wine in the barrel will get a lot of oak, so this wine is going to need to kiss the barrel just right before over oaking it.

How often, once in barrel, do you think I should taste this? Daily? Weekly? Wait a few weeks then taste?

You could probably over oak that wine in just a few weeks, so after the first few days, you should taste it frequently, like every other day.

Each place I look up New barrel prep all have different procedures.

There’s the cold water soak.
The hot water soak.
Timelines range a lot.
Some call for sanitizer solution soak. Others don’t.
What’s your plan of action- and is there really any “wrong way” as long as you swell the oak and seal any leaks?

The hot water soak.
Timelines range a lot.
What’s your plan of action- and is there really any “wrong way” as long as you swell the oak and seal any leaks?

I’ve always filled the barrel 1/2 full with near boiling water, stood it on end and soaked each head for half hour. Rolled it around so the hot water contacts all parts inside. After 4 hours, fill with water and a bit of sulfite for a few days to check for leaks. Dump and fill.

You didn’t say what size barrel, which has a big influence on the amount of oaking. Assuming it’s a small format barrel, I would split the difference between daily and weekly.

The hot water soak.
Timelines range a lot.

I'm thinking of going with the hot soak, seems to be the most common. Bigger barrels in the future probably cold. On the femce about the sanitizing part. kmeta & Citric?

You didn’t say what size barrel, which has a big influence on the amount of oaking. Assuming it’s a small format barrel, I would split the difference between daily and weekly.

it's a micro barrel, 23l(6gl). From another discussion about barrels, small barrels oak faster?

it's a micro barrel, 23l(6gl). From another discussion about barrels, small barrels oak faster?

Paul, it's a 30 liter 8 gallon. Just to chime in on prep here's what I just did:
Tighten the hoops
Hose down the outside of the barrel.
Put hot tap water on the outside of the head 15 - 20 minutes, flip and do the other side.
Fill the barrel with hot tap water enough so it doesn't come out of the bung hole when turned on it's side.
Stand the barrel on each side for 30 minutes or so.
Add K-meta and citric acid and fill the barrel.
This was done around 5pm and when I returned the next day the barrel was dry.
Drained and racked the wine.
I Might be biased but these are quality barrels the hoops sometime come loose in transport but once tightened they seal really quickly.

I don't why i thought is was 23l, the 30l is perfect then.

Looks like a plan to follow Fred. This saturday will be the day.

I don't why i thought is was 23l, the 30l is perfect then.

Looks like a plan to follow Fred. This saturday will be the day.

I think the 30 is good size for 4 lugs or more. If things go as I hope I'll be able to fill the barrel and have about a gallon for topping off. Didn't realize you thought you were getting a 23.

I think the 30 is good size for 4 lugs or more. If things go as I hope I'll be able to fill the barrel and have about a gallon for topping off. Didn't realize you thought you were getting a 23.

I just forgot, but that's why I did 2 four lug batches last week. Many numbers and specs in my life, they get a little fuzzy sometimes.

I have not gotten to the barrel stage yet, but the ratio of oak to wine in a 30L barrel is going to be w a a a a a y more than 4oz. of cubes in 6 gal. I'd be real careful about leaving it in very long. Of course, tasting frequently is never a bad thing.

Good luck . . . I hope it comes out grand.

I have not gotten to the barrel stage yet, but the ratio of oak to wine in a 30L barrel is going to be w a a a a a y more than 4oz. of cubes in 6 gal. I'd be real careful about leaving it in very long. Of course, tasting frequently is never a bad thing.

Good luck . . . I hope it comes out grand.

Hence my comment "kiss the barrel just right". Thanks me too!

So if Sauv Blanc were to be the 2nd or 3rd wine in the barrel then the color would would darken or take on an orangey tint I assume? And also any malo bacteria hanging out inside. So gotta be #1.
Playing with fire Paul. I’d think ya need to monitor daily with the virgin oak. And a week might do the trick. Unfortunately you won’t be utilizing any aging benefits.
Good luck. Hope you get another winner.

So if Sauv Blanc were to be the 2nd or 3rd wine in the barrel then the color would would darken or take on an orangey tint I assume? And also any malo bacteria hanging out inside. So gotta be #1.

Yes on both, but more the malo bact.

Playing with fire Paul. I’d think ya need to monitor daily with the virgin oak. And a week might do the trick. Unfortunately you won’t be utilizing any aging benefits. Good luck. Hope you get another winner.

Thanks, I'm ready for the challenge

Did the hot water treatment this morning. Soaking with cold water now for 24 hours. Sauvignon Blanc goes in tomorrow. No turning back now. Pinotage is up second, then Carmanere/Malbec, then probably Petite Sirah for the final long soak before neutral. But that's a loose plan at this point. First lets see how long it takes for the sauv blanc to have enough oak.

DSC_1678_3858_1.jpg DSC_1681_3861_1.jpg DSC_1682_3862_1.jpg DSC_1683_3863_1.jpg DSC_1688_3868_1.jpg DSC_1690_3870.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back