Back sweeten

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosa6329

Reaction score
So my skeeter pee is sitting to clarify. Can I back sweeten at anytime? Also, the skeeter pee website said to back sweeten just pour the sugar right into the carboy and mix while doing so. Would this be okay? Would it make it cloudy? Will it fully dissolve?

Make a simple syrup of 1 cup water to 2 cups sugar and fully dissolve. Make sure you sulfite and sorbate before adding to your pee. I'm not sure about timing but I did it on all my batches right before bottling.

I like to take a bottle of wine and take a half a cup at a time and add simple syrup in spoon measures. Make a bunch of test batches in wine glasses and get somebody to help you taste. Figure out which ones you like then make one somewhere in between the measures and pick the best of the three. I found that I preferred my last batch at 1/2 teaspoon syrup to 3/4 cup of wine. I was able to convert these numbers and add the right amount of syrup to the entire batch after the bench test. Even with those numbers, add a little at a time and taste often. Use onlineconversion.com to convert the teaspoon to cup measure.

Hope this helps!

Can you do this, the answer is yes. I would not suggest it though as a portion of it probably will not dissolve. Either make a simple syrup and add it that way or figure out how many cups of sugar you're going to add and warm up about 60% of that amount of wine in the microwave and then dissolve your sugar in this wine. Just get the wine to the point where it is hot to touch. Once it cools down add it to the rest of the wine.

I also do it Joes way sometimes. It's a lot easier for me working with Graduated cylinders and starting with 100 ml of wine in each glass and then make my additions. This works great for blending also. Working with ML's is just so much easier.

Make a simple syrup of 1 cup water to 2 cups sugar and fully dissolve. Make sure you sulfite and sorbate before adding to your pee. I'm not sure about timing but I did it on all my batches right before bottling.

I like to take a bottle of wine and take a half a cup at a time and add simple syrup in spoon measures. Make a bunch of test batches in wine glasses and get somebody to help you taste. Figure out which ones you like then make one somewhere in between the measures and pick the best of the three. I found that I preferred my last batch at 1/2 teaspoon syrup to 3/4 cup of wine. I was able to convert these numbers and add the right amount of syrup to the entire batch after the bench test. Even with those numbers, add a little at a time and taste often. Use onlineconversion.com to convert the teaspoon to cup measure.

Hope this helps!

When you say take a bottle of wine you mean an type of wine? And why would you add sugar to this rather the skeeter pee and do samples?

Yep, Rosa,
He means use your skeeter pee and make some test batches. Keep track of how much sugar is in each one, and when you find the one you like, convert it to how much is in your carboy and add the correct amount to make the wine the same sweetness. Hope this makes sense to you. Arne.

When the skeeter pee is clear rack it off the sediment. Add a pinch of sulfite and a half teaspoon of sorbate per gallon. Blend well.

Degas if needed.

When you are ready take a small amount of your s. pee in a pot with about 4 ounces of sugar. Gently warm till dissolved. Don't simmer.

Mix this with some wine in a test beaker and take a reading. Start at 1.000 taste it. Add more or less till you find what you like. Most common is near 1.010

Then blend what's in the pot that's left with your wine. Take a reading and calculate from there to your desired gravity. Dissolve sugar in pot with some wine and blend.

Let it rest a few weeks to be sure there is no refermentation.

4 ounces of sugar by weight will raise gravity .010 per gallon.

When the skeeter pee is clear rack it off the sediment. Add a pinch of sulfite and a half teaspoon of sorbate per gallon. Blend well.

Degas if needed.

When you are ready take a small amount of your s. pee in a pot with about 4 ounces of sugar. Gently warm till dissolved. Don't simmer.

Mix this with some wine in a test beaker and take a reading. Start at 1.000 taste it. Add more or less till you find what you like. Most common is near 1.010

Then blend what's in the pot that's left with your wine. Take a reading and calculate from there to your desired gravity. Dissolve sugar in pot with some wine and blend.

Let it rest a few weeks to be sure there is no refermentation.

4 ounces of sugar by weight will raise gravity .010 per gallon.

add more sorbate even though i added it when the sg reached .998?

Back