apple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johngottshall

Reaction score
Racked my 3gallon batch of apple wine tonight SG on the 22nd was 1.086 tonight when I racked to secondary gravity reading was .998. Smell is fantastic.

ForumRunner_20131028_200501.jpg

ForumRunner_20131028_200449.jpg

I have 2 different apple wines going. First 1 is from fresh cider, I added white sugar, brown sugar and a little mollases. Fermented down to .996, abv 12.45. Now in secondary. Second batch a is 30# fress apples, 2 gallons cider. Fermented apples and cider for a week before pitching my yeast. Fermenting slower had to add nutient couple days ago. Both taste very nice. Bakervinyard

Not trying to hijack this thread lol. Just didn't want to have another apple wine thread out there. I just have a question. Anyone use raisins to add body when making apple wine? Also, is it necessary to use ascorbic acid when making wine from cider? I saw a Jack Keller recipe in which he added 1/4 a tsp. in primary and at every other racking. If any one can help on this front I would appreciate it. I already have one apple wine in secondary that I just went for. But now I have 4 more batches that need made soon and would like to be a little more exacting lol

I had to show my pics of my apple wine just being transferred into the secondary. Its still bubbling away - I love the sound of that !!!

Now its time to add the pumpkin into the primary !

apple.jpg

Here are some pics of the apple wine that was started on 10/22/13. Clear as a bell.

ForumRunner_20140109_201057.jpg

ForumRunner_20140109_201042.jpg

Those pics look great. Do you know what the pH of the wine is? I am still trying to tweak my hard ciders (ABV of about 9 -11 %), to get the right level and kind of acidity. I am using orchard pressed apples but I have no control over the varieties they use and they tend to be overly sweet and not sufficiently tart for my taste.

That's just BEAUTIFUL! Seriously.
Did you use any clearing agents?

Those pics look great. Do you know what the pH of the wine is? I am still trying to tweak my hard ciders (ABV of about 9 -11 %), to get the right level and kind of acidity. I am using orchard pressed apples but I have no control over the varieties they use and they tend to be overly sweet and not sufficiently tart for my taste.

I don't know what the pH is I don't have a meter yet but I will soon. It has a tart finish to it . I used 1 1/2 gallons of cider and 1 1/2 gallons of apple juice. Then I used half a pack of super kleer and filtered

Back