Wine Kitz Any kits for rose'?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fullsizeoutput_746.jpeg Got my kit started this morning. I cooked down about two quarts of strawberries in some Chardonnay/Viognier, pectic enzyme, and a little honey. While that cooled, I mixed up the kit - followed the directions and then added 3g of FT Blanc Soft. Once it was mixed up, I stirred in the strawberry concoction and sprinkled the EC1118 in. At 1.082 SG, this will end up being a 'session wine'. I might just have to call it "All Day Rose".

Where the berries cooked down to soft? Remember give it time in the primary,then transfer to a holding carboy for at least 2weeks, then rack back into a bucket, back to the carboy add chems & clearing agents then walk away .

Where the berries cooked down to soft? Remember give it time in the primary,then transfer to a holding carboy for at least 2weeks, then rack back into a bucket, back to the carboy add chems & clearing agents then walk away .

They were soft. And you can't tell from the pic due to the color of the must, but the berries had given up quite a bit of their color. I want this to be a dry, crisp rose; so I may ultimately add more tannin and some tartaric. But I'll make that decision after it has cleared. Should have bought this in January - I'm not sure how much of a summer sipper it'll be for 2019.

Opened up a bottle of Sparkling Rose’ that I bottled 1/2/2019 yesterday, Wow was it good. Took 1 gal from a kit on the third racking and before we added the K meta, that way we still had active yeast to carbonate. Used Champagne bottles and plastic corks with some used wire bails. Added a bit of sugar to each bottle and it all worked fine. Basically the same procedure as making beer.

You can buy sugar pills at your locale brew store .
I believe it's one will per bottle
Nice and easy.

Last edited:
Instructions said 7 tablespoons for 5 bottles. Came in a bit sweet, will be cutting it a bit on the next batch. The Rose’ was great, but want to get it a bit drier. Carbonation with 7 tablespoons was very bubbly and nice. Will see what happens with cutting the sugar. More tweaking in store. Gotta love it. Still deciding how much sugar to cut, may use 1 tablespoon per bottle.

Was making the first few batches per the instructions, had to wait a bit and see how they turned out. 7 tablespoons was definitely too much sugar, not sure how much is in the pill from the shops. Easier and better control to just measure it out with measuring spoons.

When I made the sparkling cider the sugar pills were the correct amount and for sparkling wine. Just wanted to let you know there is a easy and safe way.

That’s how I took your suggestion, once I figure out how much sugar I need for the carbonation and taste I like, will give them a try.

Instructions said 7 tablespoons for 5 bottles. Came in a bit sweet, will be cutting it a bit on the next batch. The Rose’ was great, but want to get it a bit drier. Carbonation with 7 tablespoons was very bubbly and nice. Will see what happens with cutting the sugar. More tweaking in store. Gotta love it. Still deciding how much sugar to cut, may use 1 tablespoon per bottle.
Wow, that's roughly 23 gram sugar/liter! (1 tablespoon~12,5 gram, 7*12,5/3,75 liter), that's a bit scary unless you had fermented your base down to bone dry before. That amount of sugar put you in the Champagne range (6 atm of CO2) . I assume, you didn't add any new yeast like EC 1118 because the sweetness you notice implies to me that the yeast wasn't in the best condition. 1 tablespoon per bottle is roughly 16 grams/liter but I still think you will need fresh activated yeast.

But the sugar pills already measure out one per bottle.
Joe, if I'm not mistaken, the carbonation caps weighs 2 to 3 grams depending on brand and the one per bottle is for beer bottles 33 cl.

I did run both the Chardonnay and the Rose’ to a good dry level, was thinking at the time that 7 tablespoons was a lot of sugar. Thought that I would follow the instructions on the first batch, then modify to fit our tastes. No extra yeast was added to either wine. The Rose’ came out just a bit sweet, but no yeasty taste. The Chardonnay came out a too sweet and did have a yeasty taste. I think for this run (Rose’) I will use the 5 tablespoons and no extra yeast, just one variable.

Mrs Mann says the Rose is missing something. We’re going to do a tasting this weekend to see what that is. I’m thinking about backsweetening it to off-dry and hitting it with Sorbate.

Any other ideas of what I might consider adding?

Last edited:
What was your plan ?
Did you add an fpac?
Is it bland tasting?
What was your ending SG.

Mrs Mann says the Rose is missing something. We’re going to do a tasting this weekend to see what that is. I’m thinking about backsweetening it to off-dry and hitting it with Sorbate.

Any other ideas of what I might consider adding?

I'd start w/ bench trials using tannin and/or acid.

Back