Wine Kitz Any kits for rose'?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let it have it's fun on it's own, walk away cone back in 14 days

That’s so unlike me.

I like giving the wine a little jiggle to get the mashed strawberries wet. Plus, it’s still a little chilly in the wine room. I’d like to keep an eye on it so that the ferment doesn’t sputter.

My Rose’ is out of the primary fermenter and in the clarify stage now (carboy). Did a taste check and the grapefruit and lemon zest came through fine. Spent 16 days in the primary (2 days extra after bubbling stopped). Looks good, smells great and tastes great. Will sit and clarify for another 14 days, then rack to the bottling carboy. Looking forward to the summer with 4 cases of Rose’ ready for sipping.

I had some last night and the color was excellent the taste profile with the strawberrie fpac was spot on.

14 days later and we racked the French rose into a carboy for clearing. It is bone dry.

I struggled a little with the strawberry mush getting caught up in the racking wand (maybe bag the fpac next time so I can give them a good squeeze and discard).

But, it looks and smells great. My first taste will be in two weeks when I rack the wine off the finer lees.

We didn’t fill the carboy, so it’s under an AIO headspace eliminator. Got to keep an eye on that because it’s still degassing. Want to keep a good vacuum.

Last edited:
Hi, I've been looking for a kit to make a rose' with. Maybe it's just me, but I can't seem to find anything that comes close, except for some vendors that offer white zinfandel kits.

Now, as a wine drinker, I've never found white zinfandels to be even remotely drinkable, so I'm very skeptical that any white zinfandel kit would produce anything worthwhile.

Does anyone know of any rose' kits, or failing that, has anyone ever been able to tweak a white zinfandel kit in some way that would result in a decent rose'?

It has always puzzled me why white zinfandels are so terrible when zinfandel is such a nice red (I'm a pretty big zinfandel fan).

Vineco Atmosphere has one, its a shiraz/pinot noir. The only issue is they have a bag of clarified must which is used to backsweeten the wine...I didn't use it which I might have given up some flavor for. I used a bit of glycerin instead to help with the mouthfeel, its one of the few rose's I actually like being dry but tasting full and very slightly sweet from the glycerin.

It’s a week later. There’s a good bit of fallout at the bottom of the carboy. The wine is hazy right now - clearer at the top, cloudy at the bottom. There are a few bits of strawberry flesh floating at the top. Nothing to be concerned over... They’ll be gone at the next racking.

It’s a week later. There’s a good bit of fallout at the bottom of the carboy. The wine is hazy right now - clearer at the top, cloudy at the bottom. There are a few bits of strawberry flesh floating at the top. Nothing to be concerned over... They’ll be gone at the next racking.

Jim,

Where'd you get this kit? Thanks.

As to the headspace in the carboy, I just give it a shot of Private Preserve inert gas. Plus there is also a slight bit of degassing going on which puts a bit of CO2 in there. Never had a problem.

I also use the French-Rose’-kit from Cru-International. So far have made 4 of them and all came out great. 2 tweaked with hints from Joe and 2 as 5 gallon kits. As jgmann67 mentioned, they come out dry. If you like a sweeter Rose’, I suspect a bit of back sweeting should work. Never tried that as I like mine dry.

The rose has been clearing for three weeks now. It’s still pretty cloudy. I’m guessing it’s because of the fresh strawberry fpac. I racked at 2 weeks and hit it with the clearing agents (really didn’t want to, but if we’re drinking it this summer, I needed to do something). Finer lees are still dropping, but it just seems to be taking longer than usual.

Any ideas other than time? The basement is a cool 62* and the wine has been racked 3 times... so, most of the co2 is gone.

The rose has been clearing for three weeks now. It’s still pretty cloudy. I’m guessing it’s because of the fresh strawberry fpac. I racked at 2 weeks and hit it with the clearing agents (really didn’t want to, but if we’re drinking it this summer, I needed to do something). Finer lees are still dropping, but it just seems to be taking longer than usual.

Any ideas other than time? The basement is a cool 62* and the wine has been racked 3 times... so, most of the co2 is gone.

Two suggestions, first is to move it to a room / area that’s a bit warmer, like mid 70’s, and make one more effort at racking / degassing after it warms. Second is more thinking out loud, but strawberries contain a small amount of pectin, and if you cooked a strawberry fpack, you may have set those pectins during the heating process, in which case, pectic enzyme would be the remedy.

Latest posts

Back