Wine Kitz Any kits for rose'?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two suggestions, first is to move it to a room / area that’s a bit warmer, like mid 70’s, and make one more effort at racking / degassing after it warms. Second is more thinking out loud, but strawberries contain a small amount of pectin, and if you cooked a strawberry fpack, you may have set those pectins during the heating process, in which case, pectic enzyme would be the remedy.

Thanks John. Will try temp first - seeing what 10* might do for clearing. I was thinking about peptic enzymes, too. But, try to put as little extra stuff in my wine as possible.

What was the amount of strawberries did you use.and yes time is your friend. Just walk away for a while to much handling is not good.
The Flume Blanc I just made with a white grape fpac and it took a while to clear probably do to the fresh fpaç .
Give it time if not do you have a wine filter pump then filter the wine don't put anymore chems into the mix.then just let it sit, patients will be rewarded.trust me.

Will be bottling my Rose’ this morning, didn’t use any Strawberry’s in it, but did use some Grapefruit and a touch of Lemon zest. I have racked it 3 times and it is totally clear. Will be trying a Strawberry fpac this fall, so interested in how yours comes out. I did use some Chitosan clearing agent at the 2nd racking, but the wine was already very clear at that stage. Will have to research the pectin in Strawberries issue. Not sure if maybe just warming the berries in the fpac, and not getting above 170F would work

What was the amount of strawberries did you use.and yes time is your friend. Just walk away for a while to much handling is not good.
The Flume Blanc I just made with a white grape fpac and it took a while to clear probably do to the fresh fpaç .
Give it time if not do you have a wine filter pump then filter the wine don't put anymore chems into the mix.then just let it sit, patients will be rewarded.trust me.

I used about a quart of fresh strawberries, cooked down with some Chardonnay. It wasn’t a lot. I’m warming the wine and will recheck it in a week.

I dropped by my LHBS yesterday to ask about pectanese. He looked at me like I was speaking a different language. Then we talked a bit about pectin enzyme and how it goes in to the primary; that using it now wouldn’t do anything if I had pectin haze. Nothing will, he said.

There’s still some clearing going on. And, regardless, a little haze in a wine that probably won’t last until the fall doesn’t bother me all that much. It’s more of an academic exercise right now.

Have you given it a sip? I usually don't at this stage , I let time do the work.

I dropped by my LHBS yesterday to ask about pectanese. He looked at me like I was speaking a different language. Then we talked a bit about pectin enzyme and how it goes in to the primary; that using it now wouldn’t do anything if I had pectin haze. Nothing will, he said.

There’s still some clearing going on. And, regardless, a little haze in a wine that probably won’t last until the fall doesn’t bother me all that much. It’s more of an academic exercise right now.

Um, I've had haze on both peach wine from fresh fruit, and the guava wine I recently bottled. In both cases, pectic enzyme cleared up the haze - unless of course, the timing was purely coincidental.

You do no that a cold dwell in a refrigerator can also bring down the haze? I do that offten. As an aid because I use a fruit fpacs
Just a thought.

Um, I've had haze on both peach wine from fresh fruit, and the guava wine I recently bottled. In both cases, pectic enzyme cleared up the haze - unless of course, the timing was purely coincidental.

The kid was a little bit of a snot... that’s why I’m asking here.

This place has lousy pricing on their kits and they know I won’t buy a kit from them except during their clearance sales. I get pretty much everything else from them though.

My kit arrived the other day. I think I'm going to start it today, though I'm debating whether or not to wait and add some FT Blanc Soft that I just ordered. I'm going to try your strawberry trick, too, as this is only a 12L kit.

My kit arrived the other day. I think I'm going to start it today, though I'm debating whether or not to wait and add some FT Blanc Soft that I just ordered. I'm going to try your strawberry trick, too, as this is only a 12L kit.

I have a pack of FT Blanc Soft if you wanted to get started today.

I have a pack of FT Blanc Soft if you wanted to get started today.

Nice! I may take you up on that. Will touch base once I figure out what's in store for me this afternoon. I know one of us has to take Gavin to a birthday party from 3-5, but I don't know if it will be me or Mrs Boatboy.

pectic enzyme will definitely work on finished wine. I had a Riesling kit that I added peaches in the primary forgetting to use enzyme. When wine would not clear after 2 months I hit it with a double dose of pectic enzyme. It is not as effective if alcohol is present but it still works.

I disagree, pectic enzymes IS THE solution to the problem of pectin haze.

I know I have posted this before, but pear wine correct amount of pectic enzyme added in primary. Wouldn't clear, wouldn't clear. Finally hit with a triple dose of pectic enzyme, cleared a little bit, hit again with a triple dose. Finally clear, named it clearly pear.

I wouldn't be asking those folks questions, in the future.

The rose has been clearing for three weeks now. It’s still pretty cloudy. I’m guessing it’s because of the fresh strawberry fpac. I racked at 2 weeks and hit it with the clearing agents (really didn’t want to, but if we’re drinking it this summer, I needed to do something). Finer lees are still dropping, but it just seems to be taking longer than usual.

Any ideas other than time? The basement is a cool 62* and the wine has been racked 3 times... so, most of the co2 is gone.
Any time I add fresh fruit I add pectic enzyme, I also make jams and jellies and I'm familiar with pectin in fresh fruit. It's easy to get off any winemaking sites or amazon. This was my fear with fresh homemade f packs, try it.

Fear? There are fixes for almost any wine making problem sometime it just takes a little longer to get to the finish.

Latest posts

Back