Discussion in 'Kit Winemaking' started by Wayne Freeman, Nov 6, 2018.
What’s the pH? It might just need a little acidity to liven it up.
You do no most Rose' are non discripe how much strawberries did you use?
I've found that it takes time in the bottle to bring out the flavor.
How old is yours?
@ johnd - I'm going to test pH this weekend before doing anything else.
@joeswine - not a lot, like a quart or so. The wine is very young. What we tasted was only in the bottle a couple weeks. The wine was started two months ago.
Leave it alone walk away.walk away let time in a bottle do it's job.
It took this kit about a year to come around,a year, wine making sometimes takes time.
I try to make my Rose’ in the Spring and then drink it the following Spring and Summer. About 1 1/4 years in the bottle at that point. If I get lucky and loose a few bottles in the back of the closet, they may make it to 2 years old. Time to age is important, not sure if Rose’ can actually be aged to long and loose some of its taste? I did see a chart somewhere that listed wines that benefit from aging years and years, and those that should be consumed in 2 or 3 years.
This is my mistake, then. I was figuring this to be an early drinker - with no oak, concentrated juice out of the box, I figured we were looking at 3 months tops. It's okay, though. When I bottle the meritage blend, it will free up a 5-gal carboy. Letting it sit for another 6-8 months in bulk doesn't break my heart at all. Plus, time will work to clear the wine completely if it sits in the basement over the cold months like my Chardonnays did... both are beautiful - clear, fully degassed and tasting very well (and it looks like they'll be put into rotation in place of the Rose).
Still, I will test the pH of the Rose and give a report of what I'm tasting. I like to taste my wines earlier in the morning before my taste buds are clear (I don't know if that's a thing... but, it works for me).
What I tasted the other night wasn't crisp at all... it was kinda blah and flabby.
That's a rose' for you, you've done all you can let is rest follow up with in 8 mos.
So we’re going to go step by step, nice and slow...
We tasted the Rose last night and my impression is it’s nondescript... kinda blah. My wife says it’s got a bit of sour to it. We both agree it isn’t clear enough.
So, for the thing on which we agree, I hit it with pectic enzyme this morning first thing. It’s now lunch and the wine is already clearer than it was yesterday. We’ll leave it be for a week or so and see where that gets us.
After that we’ll taste again, see if converting that pectin did anything to the taste. My wife said she wouldn’t mind if this was a little off-dry instead of bone dry. Personally, I think she’d be happier with it being more crisp with brighter fruit. But, we’ll cogitate on how to get there at the next tasting. I’d hate to just drop some simple syrup in and take this in the wrong direction.
Mine is considerably younger than yours, but I'm not sure a little sugar AND acid wouldn't do the trick. Mine is finishing up secondary but is incredibly cloudy - sediment has already fallen quite a bit. I put some pectic enzyme in at primary, but will do a bit more here in another week or so when I move to the next step.
So kick me in the pants and call me Susan... I don't have a free carboy. They're all full - Every. Last. One. Don't have any that are ready for the bottle until mid-June. Lucky, I found a local guy selling his used glass carboys on Craigslist. So, I'll have four more by next week when I need them. Mrs. Mann will be so happy!
I peeked at the Rose this morning. It is clear as a bell. I can see all the sediment on the bottom and the wine practically glows. I really do hope this bodes well for the next tasting.
So, Friday afternoon, Mrs Mann and I went to the wine room to sample the newly cleared French Rose. Much closer to home, but lacked a little sweetness that Mrs Mann likes in her summer wines. So, I pulled out the simple syrup and a small syringe and we did some testing. We added 2ml (a half an ml at a time) of simple to 150 ml of wine and PrEsTo! She liked it very much. Push that into about 23L of wine and I needed about 300ml of simple syrup.
The SG ended up just about at 1.000, but not wanting to take any chances, I decided to hit it with the sorbate. Then we left it alone until this morning. It was crisp and clear, so we racked and got it into the bottle.
Mrs Mann is happy and that’s all that matters. The wine is a refreshing 12.5 ABV, slightly off-dry with a strawberry spine. Only one name I could think of for it...
Racked mine out of secondary and added 1.5 tsp of Pectic Enzyme and the clearing agents this morning. It has already fallen clear, but still has a slight haze. I'll give it a couple weeks and see what happens. At this point, it is very fruity and, for me, lacking a bit of backbone. I'm going to do some bench trials with tannin and/or acid - we'll see what happens. A very pronounced presence of strawberry at this time.
The dosing is 0.5 tsp/gallon. Based on other posts on post-fermentation dosing, I hit it with 5 tsp. Cleared in 2 days.
No tannins,.,,, It's a white wine with color their lite and semi dry..
Yes, but it's a 12L kit. If any, I'd use FT Blanc Soft. I'm aiming for a Provence style - light, dry and crisp.
I do use Tannin in my Rose’, it is marked for Whites and Rose’s. Seem to work well and gives a bit more body and finish to the Rose’ than when I leave it out. I use 1 1/4 tabes[pons per 5 gallons and put it in the primary. Works for me, but some may not like it in there.
Separate names with a comma.