Wine Kitz Any kits for rose'?

Discussion in 'Kit Winemaking' started by Wayne Freeman, Nov 6, 2018.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. May 15, 2019 at 12:22 PM #81

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

What’s the pH? It might just need a little acidity to liven it up.

Boatboy24 likes this.
  2. May 15, 2019 at 2:04 PM #82

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

You do no most Rose' are non discripe how much strawberries did you use?
    I've found that it takes time in the bottle to bring out the flavor.
    How old is yours?

3. May 15, 2019 at 3:26 PM #83

jgmann67

jgmann67

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man

@ johnd - I'm going to test pH this weekend before doing anything else.

@joeswine - not a lot, like a quart or so. The wine is very young. What we tasted was only in the bottle a couple weeks. The wine was started two months ago.

4. May 15, 2019 at 7:25 PM #84

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

Leave it alone walk away.walk away let time in a bottle do it's job.

5. May 16, 2019 at 1:11 AM #85

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

It took this kit about a year to come around,a year, wine making sometimes takes time.

Boatboy24 likes this.
  6. May 16, 2019 at 2:22 PM #86

jpwatkins9

jpwatkins9

jpwatkins9

I try to make my Rose’ in the Spring and then drink it the following Spring and Summer. About 1 1/4 years in the bottle at that point. If I get lucky and loose a few bottles in the back of the closet, they may make it to 2 years old. Time to age is important, not sure if Rose’ can actually be aged to long and loose some of its taste? I did see a chart somewhere that listed wines that benefit from aging years and years, and those that should be consumed in 2 or 3 years.

7. May 16, 2019 at 2:46 PM #87

jgmann67

jgmann67

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man

This is my mistake, then. I was figuring this to be an early drinker - with no oak, concentrated juice out of the box, I figured we were looking at 3 months tops. It's okay, though. When I bottle the meritage blend, it will free up a 5-gal carboy. Letting it sit for another 6-8 months in bulk doesn't break my heart at all. Plus, time will work to clear the wine completely if it sits in the basement over the cold months like my Chardonnays did... both are beautiful - clear, fully degassed and tasting very well (and it looks like they'll be put into rotation in place of the Rose).

Still, I will test the pH of the Rose and give a report of what I'm tasting. I like to taste my wines earlier in the morning before my taste buds are clear (I don't know if that's a thing... but, it works for me).

What I tasted the other night wasn't crisp at all... it was kinda blah and flabby.

8. May 16, 2019 at 5:35 PM #88

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

joeswine

That's a rose' for you, you've done all you can let is rest follow up with in 8 mos.
    Walk away.

9. May 19, 2019 at 4:53 PM #89

jgmann67

jgmann67

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man

So we’re going to go step by step, nice and slow...

We tasted the Rose last night and my impression is it’s nondescript... kinda blah. My wife says it’s got a bit of sour to it. We both agree it isn’t clear enough.

So, for the thing on which we agree, I hit it with pectic enzyme this morning first thing. It’s now lunch and the wine is already clearer than it was yesterday. We’ll leave it be for a week or so and see where that gets us.

After that we’ll taste again, see if converting that pectin did anything to the taste. My wife said she wouldn’t mind if this was a little off-dry instead of bone dry. Personally, I think she’d be happier with it being more crisp with brighter fruit. But, we’ll cogitate on how to get there at the next tasting. I’d hate to just drop some simple syrup in and take this in the wrong direction.

10. May 20, 2019 at 2:42 AM #90

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Mine is considerably younger than yours, but I'm not sure a little sugar AND acid wouldn't do the trick. Mine is finishing up secondary but is incredibly cloudy - sediment has already fallen quite a bit. I put some pectic enzyme in at primary, but will do a bit more here in another week or so when I move to the next step.