another bentonite source

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonmaster42

Reaction score
Thought I'd pass this along. I was at the pharmacy a couple weeks ago and noticed in amongst all the other vitamins, minerals, and assundry things, they had a jar of bentonite. I checked and the only ingredient was "clay". The guy at the counter said it is taken internally asa "colloidal colon detox".

I bought a jar to see how it would compare to the winemaking bentonite just out of curiosity. Itcosts a bit more ~$4 for 1/2 lb if I remember correctly butit is a much finer powder.I was starting a 5 gallon batch of apple/raspberry wine, so I sprinked 4 tsp in a half gallon of warm water andmixed it up with a whisk (how I normally do it). It very quickly went into solution with no clumps at all.

The wine was racked into a secondary this weekend and the sediment layer was prettysolid, so I would have to say it worked prettywell.

The first time I ever heard of Bentonite was while in high school, working a summer job. We spread 2 semi loads of Bentonite, from Wyoming, on this guys dry pond. Apparently the Bentonite would create some kind of seal to prevent it from leaking. The Bentonite came in 50# bags and all I remember was how hot and sweaty I was and how the powder would stick to you.

Latest posts

Back