Allergic to Citric Acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Reaction score
I am making a batch of wine for someone who has a citric acid allergy. Can I use Malic acid in place of the standard acid blend to reduce the amount of citric acid in the finished wine?

I am making a white from concentrate. I will backsweeten to obtain a semi sweet wine. She is allergic to most berries, plums, red grapes, and all citrus fruit as well as citric acid. Most White grapes and apples don't bother her. The ph is 4.2 with everything added except the acid blend.

2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient

Is there a reason why "acid blend" is used over a straight dose of one of the three ingredients? Will adding either malic or tartaric on their own have a impact on the final product or is the ph really the only thing that matters?

Add another can of concentrate and check the pH again.

Add another can of concentrate and check the pH again.

This would be my suggestion as well. If you still need to adjust the PH you can use tataric acid. I recently did a test of this on elderberry. I made 2 batches, one with tataric, one with blend. PH, acid %, SG almost identical to start. IMHO, the Tartaric batch has bolder flavor and tastes better.

Back