Aging Kit Wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUwiner

Reaction score
How long have you aged kit wines that you have made? Although none of mine have lasted that long yet, I noticed that most of the Vineco kits I have purchased note a maximum as well as a minimum aging aging time. Most of the reds are anywhere from 24 to 36 months. Do these wines go "bad" or just don't get any better after this?

As far as the manufacturer's recommended consumption windows, I'd aim for the far end of that range before opening. My wines are all in the 2 - 2.5 year range at this point, although a few cases are approaching 3 years.

As noted already, though, the wines don't know their birthday, so they won't be spoiled after that date, they just won't continue to improve. They will eventually devolve from being wine, but that's a gradual process, too.

From what I understand, they'll peak around then but very slowly start to go downhill. I've heard that the peak can last for approximately a year.

There is a Law Of Aging for wine that states that a wine will hold its peak for the same amount of time it took to reach that peak and then gradually decline from there. For instance if it takes 2 years for a wine to peak, it will stay there for another 2 years and then start to decline.
I would expect this depends on a lot of factors but is a general guideline.

There is a Law Of Aging for wine that states that a wine will hold its peak for the same amount of time it took to reach that peak and then gradually decline from there. For instance if it takes 2 years for a wine to peak, it will stay there for another 2 years and then start to decline.
I would expect this depends on a lot of factors but is a general guideline.

I have heard this, too. It makes sense to me.

This give you an idea of the future of some low-end red kits, which mature in a very short period of time.

This is why I am willing to pay a little more and wait a little longer for a wine to mature. There is nothing wrong when folks take the opposite view. And, for those just starting to make wine, it's not a bad idea to start with a low-end kit, so you can have some of your own creation to drink sooner than later. Once the fast drinker is out of the fermentor, one can start a nicer wine, which could be ready by the time the fast-drinking batch is gone.

Or you could do what I did and dive right in and make 4 kits at once with different readyness levelsm then have more waiting to go as soon as you have room. Yes this is addictive!

Newbie here. The Kit I currently have in secondary (World Vineyards - Cali Zin Shiraz) suggests that if I want to age more than 6 months I should up the amount of Sulfite in it.

Am I looking at red that should really be consumed in under 6 months from bottling? Guess I started with a fast and cheap one!

Newbie here. The Kit I currently have in secondary (World Vineyards - Cali Zin Shiraz) suggests that if I want to age more than 6 months I should up the amount of Sulfite in it.

Am I looking at red that should really be consumed in under 6 months from bottling? Guess I started with a fast and cheap one!

I do this for every wine I bottle, regardless of how long I'll keep it.
It is harmless and tasteless when diluted throughout the whole batch, so why not? It's like a free insurance policy! :D

If I understand your question, if you are not going to drink it within six months, add the extra sulfite. If you know it will ALL be gone in six months, you don't need it.

You probably ask, "What if I drink part of it within six months and the rest within a year?"

Actually, the idea of adding the extra sulfite is more for those who are going to age their wine six months before starting to drink it. It will set 6 months before drinking.

To answer my own question, if it is going to be completely gone in a year, add about half of the extra sulfite. I will likely get some argument on this, but that is what I would do. Of course I always add it because I bulk age at least 1 year.

Ok, I'll come out and say it - am I so cheap that the first kit I bought was designed to max it's flavor in 3 months and be gone in 6 months? Or is there a benefit for even this kit to some extra aging?

MDV - in my opinion your World Vineyard wine will be better at 1 year than it will be at 6 months and will still be good a year after that, so don't be in a rush to drink it.

Ok, I'll come out and say it - am I so cheap that the first kit I bought was designed to max it's flavor in 3 months and be gone in 6 months? Or is there a benefit for even this kit to some extra aging?

If there are no obvious flaws at bottling time, it'll be acceptable at 3-6 months, good to great at 1-1.5 years.

Your wine will be good for a couple of years or more.
I think the formula mentioned earlier sort of breaks down for wines meant to age 4 or 5 years.

Your wine will be fine.

Hey, this is all a learning experience and it is very much individualized. What works for one may not for the next person. But isn't it all fun!!!

I think this is the hard part for us newbies. We don't have a cellar built up so we need immediate gratification!

My wife and I are on the impatient side. The plan to deal with this condition is to make more wine than we can drink. I'm trying to start a mid range kit that will reach an acceptable level sooner. This keeps my wife interested in the hobby. I'll also start a higher end kit around the same time with the expectation that we will not drink it until it is time.

We started with a World Vintner Pinot Noir and started drinking it about a month after it was in the bottle. Vicky loved it right away I "see" the flaws and mistakes in my first kit but still enjoy it. It has been interesting drinking as the bottles age a little because you can experience how it is changing.

Back