2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s 5:00 a.m. EST. I’m up with the dog (who starts barking the second she hears someone walk to the bathroom - it’s kind of a hostage situation when you think about it). And, staring at my phone.

My big fermenter is clean and ready.

The opti-Malo and fermaid-O didn’t show up in the mail yet. Not sure why a package has to go from Pittsburgh to Philly only to turn around and come back West 120 miles... and USPS wonders why people hate them. Hoping for a delivery today or Monday.

Need to pack wine for swapping.

Saw that WW has extra grapes and juice.

Grape/Juice Variety Color Qty Price

Grape Cabernet Sauvignon Red 3 $46.50

Grape Malbec Red 2 $46.50

Grape Merlot Red 2 $37.50

Grape OV Zinfandel Red 5 $41.50

Grape Sangiovese Red 3 $39.50

Grape Chardonnay White 2 $39.50

Grape Muscato White 1 $35.50

Juice Alicante Red 1 $55.00

Juice Merlot Red 1 $58.00

Juice Muscato White 7 $56.00

If interested, you’ll have to wait around until everyone gets their orders (noonish). I wouldn’t mind doing a Merlot this year. But, my wallet says no.

Do you want me to bring anything. Have lots of extra additives.

I've got 6 bottles for swapping. Off to the store now to get some grub for post-crush. Dad should be here in an hour and we'll set up, then head over.

I’ve noticed a lot of people from New Jersey post in this thread. I’ll be in Cape May another few days and would love to meet any other members close by if possible. Let me know, I’d love to see how other people make wine, meet some folks and chat.

Below is the WW order for this fall. The group tried to get an early harvest shipment but there was not enough interest to make shipping worth it. The only problem I see with partnering is the distance folks would have to drive for the pick up. There are some in our group already traveling from PA

"Our order this year consists of 57 boxes of white grapes and 750 boxes of red grapes. There are also 109 pails of juice."

I’d love to discuss. Is there a way to send a private message so our info is not displayed publicly on the board? I looked but did not see the function
I’m looking to share a truck (or two) that drops at two or three places in this region. When I bought in CA our grapes came directly here on a truck with other produce. The grape packer I used tried to help me get with a winery he supplies and some home wine/beer supply stores but it never worked out. I continue to have hope I can get two trucks directly here each year. It would increase access to other varieties and AVA’s, save time the grapes are in coolers and save money by cutting out one or two middle men.

I’d love to discuss. Is there a way to send a private message so our info is not displayed publicly on the board? I looked but did not see the function
I’m looking to share a truck (or two) that drops at two or three places in this region. When I bought in CA our grapes came directly here on a truck with other produce. The grape packer I used tried to help me get with a winery he supplies and some home wine/beer supply stores but it never worked out. I continue to have hope I can get two trucks directly here each year. It would increase access to other varieties and AVA’s, save time the grapes are in coolers and save money by cutting out one or two middle men.

Private or direct messages can be done by starting a “conversation“ with the member. If you click on their avatar picture, you should see those options.

Do you want me to bring anything. Have lots of extra additives.

Fred - wish I saw this before we left. Oh well. Still crossing my fingers for delivery today.

We got back at the house around 12:30 and moved the juice and must to the basement. My numbers look very good: pH of 3.59 and an OG of 1.105 (24.5 Brix). I have no interest in adjusting them.

The grapes are in really great shape.

View attachment 51251

The temp of the must is about 57*.

I’m going to wait a few hours before dropping yeast and enzymes to let that temp up. But, I didn’t dose the mist with SO2 the last two seasons... so I’m not going to this time either.

View attachment 51252

All in all, I’m pretty happy with the WW experience - distance was tolerable, quality is good, free DIY crush and destemming.

More pics to follow.

Last edited:
Pictures from today's grape pickup. Since I had nothing better to do (didn't order anything) I took some images of Fred helping Jim subject his purchased grapes to their collective winemaking authority. A crusher/destemmer was provided free of charge, but it was a self service type of deal. Although they weren't in an image, it was good to see both senior members of the @Boatboy24 wine making team, I'm sure images of the full team will follow.

Both Jims' bought grapes that seemed in pretty darn good condition, I'm hoping to be able to get in on the action next Fall.

9-29-18_ww-1.jpg

9-29-18_ww-2.jpg

9-29-18_ww-3.jpg

9-29-18_ww-4.jpg

9-29-18_ww-5.jpg

9-29-18_ww-6.jpg

Last edited:
I can't believe, with your short trip, that you don't have those grapes crushed yet! And where is that nice printout that @mainshipfred gave you? That was a decently long morning for buying nothing (left at 6:10am, got back at 1:15pm), I now feel the pain for the three trip Fall you had to Harford last year.

Pressed yesterday after work, both my Merlot/Cab blend and OVZ finished dry and were at .990 and .992 respectively this morning. I racked and pitched VP 41 mlb this afternoon. Ph is 3.6 for the Merlot and 3.76 for the Zin. Happy with that for sure. Finished final clean up and put the equipment away until Chileans in the spring. All in, a solid wine making week

Did a chromotagraphy the other morning, took a photo when it wasn't completely dry. By the time I got home later that day, the sheet was solid blue. Could not read.

Will do another test this week. But from this I'm reading that the Aus cab, PS and Nebiollo still have a bit of malo to go. The Aus syrah and brunello less. The grenache none.

The Aus cab & syrah are from July and still showing MLF activity. The brunello, PS and Nebiollo are from a few weeks ago.

chromo2.jpg

Did a chromotagraphy the other morning, took a photo when it wasn't completely dry. By the time I got home later that day, the sheet was solid blue. Could not read.

Will do another test this week. But from this I'm reading that the Aus cab, PS and Nebiollo still have a bit of malo to go. The Aus syrah and brunello less. The grenache none.

The Aus cab & syrah are from July and still showing MLF activity. The brunello, PS and Nebiollo are from a few weeks ago.

View attachment 51293

I like how Chroma tests give us a little indication of color too. And I’ve never seen the red bleed as thick or as high as your petite Syrah! Sucker must be like pen ink! With the nebbiolo and cab not far behind.
Surprising about the aussies tho. Wonder why it’s dragging out so long. Are they further along since the last chroma test at least?

** actually after a second look, check out how high your malic registered. Looking down the line, even tho th bleeding red sorta in the way, there doesn’t appear to be any bright malic spots at all for any of em. Maybe slightly on the nebbiolo. But easily can see the tartaric and lactic spots. I don’t know man, I think there’s a chance they’re all finished. Did You coinnoculate all of em?

***also, have you spoken with Pintos? Donwe know if suckers are even harvested yet in Paso Robles?

Last edited:
I like how Chroma tests give us a little indication of color too. And I’ve never seen the red bleed as thick or as high as your petite Syrah! Sucker must be like pen ink! With the nebbiolo and cab not far behind.
Surprising about the aussies tho. Wonder why it’s dragging out so long. Are they further along since the last chroma test at least?

** actually after a second look, check out how high your malic registered. Looking down the line, even tho th bleeding red sorta in the way, there doesn’t appear to be any bright malic spots at all for any of em. Maybe slightly on the nebbiolo. But easily can see the tartaric and lactic spots. I don’t know man, I think there’s a chance they’re all finished. Did You coinnoculate all of em?

***also, have you spoken with Pintos? Donwe know if suckers are even harvested yet in Paso Robles?

Yup, they were all co-inoc with the same type of MLB.

I'm going to do a second test tomorrow to confirm. But yah the more I look at this the more it looks like everything could be done. I'm not feeling confident since I didn't catch it at it's optimal time.

I was going to call Gino's this coming week. Also thinking of stopping at Procacci for a few more buckets. PWBwest told me they are buying what ever buckets Procacci has left over(if any) at the end of the season. I'm curious what Pinto's does with their leftover/unsold. I know Presque Isle makes their unsold buckets/grapes into wine and sells as young wine.

Crush is done. Had a helper today, my youngest son. Tomorrow take measurements and innoculate. Got to decide on the yeasts tonight. Did something different today. After I pressed the Sauv Blanc I took out the skins, fluffed them up and presses again. Amazing amount of more juice was extracted. Did it again and same thing. Really didn't have to press very hard the later times. Was going to do it again but it was getting late and I wanted to start cleaning.

Attachments

• Crush 1.jpg
    Crush 1.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 39
  • Crush 2.jpg
    Crush 2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 35
Crush is done. Had a helper today, my youngest son. Tomorrow take measurements and innoculate. Got to decide on the yeasts tonight. Did something different today. After I pressed the Sauv Blanc I took out the skins, fluffed them up and presses again. Amazing amount of more juice was extracted. Did it again and same thing. Really didn't have to press very hard the later times. Was going to do it again but it was getting late and I wanted to start cleaning.

Very nice. Valdepena in 42lb lugs?

You had two helpers, technically. I cranked that press down a few times. :p

Got final measurements and adjustments done after a very brief visit to @mainshipfred 's crush/press operation to pick up some oak chips for fermentation. Numbers were as follows:

Cab Sauv: 24.4 Brix, 3.55 pH
Zin: 24 Brix, 3.70 pH
Syrah: 23.2 Brix, 3.86 pH
PS: 24 Brix, 3.65 pH

I tweaked the Zin and Syrah by adding a bit of tartaric. BM4X4 on the Cab, D254 on the PS and RP15 on both the Zin and Syrah.

Latest posts

Back