2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I should pick up some extra tartaric just in case. Really hoping these grapes don’t come in at ridiculous ph levels.

This exert was comforting to read, even though i am not exactly sure why it’s universally agreed on as a positive if acidity continues to decrease. But if it’s on the internet then it must be true. [emoji4]

“Although measuring ripeness has been debated over the years, most people rely upon scientific measurements of sugar, acid and pH levels in the grapes. Others simply taste and examine the berries, seeds and skins, checking for physiological maturity. Regardless of how it is measured, there is little disagreement among winemakers as to the value of grape hang time and its impact on their grapes”

Last edited:
And then you have places where chapitalization isn't allowed. So I imagine the growers have their target brix, and just let acidity fall where it may; as they can adjust that to their heart's content.

Just spoke with my grape supplier in California, they were scheduled to harvest the premium Cab today, but rain threats have caused them to allow them to hang for another day or two. Sounds like the harvest numbers will be good enough (he drops excess fruit in this vineyard) for me to get some of these grapes. Looks like they may be picking towards the end of this week, fingers crossed. If I don't get in on the premiums, the Lodi fruit is probably a week to ten days away from harvest. Got all my toys and supplies ready, just need some dang fruit!!!!!

And then you have places where chapitalization isn't allowed. So I imagine the growers have their target brix, and just let acidity fall where it may; as they can adjust that to their heart's content.

Unless there’s other positive things happening while Brix increases, is this process of hangtime solely for sugar ?
Because if the difference is simply:
-adding acid with optimal °Brix
OR
-adding sugar with optimal acid

I’d choose the latter every time if it was an option. I understand Cali regulations decide for us, but seems like adding sugar is a lot less complicated then adding acid. Faux pas here- but not in France! Hypothetically if that regulation was removed, I wonder what the preferred method would be.

My shipment from MoreWine finally showed up. Just in time to feed the AF and kick off the MLF before going to bed tonight.

Odd... I wrote to MoreWine about the shipping issue (where my package went from Pittsburgh to Philly, passing my house along the way, and was marked "on its way to the next facility" on Sunday night... I was supposed to get it the previous Friday). The first response I got was from a fellow who said they're really sorry for the delay and he sent me an invoice where they were shipping these items to me overnight via FedEx. About an hour later, I got a second email from a different guy saying that my shipment should be here today. Don't know if I'll actually see anything from the FedEx man in the next few days. Suppose we'll see.

@pgentile. I called up Gino Pintos this morning about the Paso Robles grapes.
They said they just got some in. Not tons. But they have Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah, and OV Zin. But my Cabernet is “at least 10 days away”.

You are correct the Paso Robles old vine zin are in. Picking up wednesday 12pm.

Hey, sucks you have to wait longer, but at least they are not harvesting your cab early.

My shipment from MoreWine finally showed up. Just in time to feed the AF and kick off the MLF before going to bed tonight.

Odd... I wrote to MoreWine about the shipping issue (where my package went from Pittsburgh to Philly, passing my house along the way, and was marked "on its way to the next facility" on Sunday night... I was supposed to get it the previous Friday). The first response I got was from a fellow who said they're really sorry for the delay and he sent me an invoice where they were shipping these items to me overnight via FedEx. About an hour later, I got a second email from a different guy saying that my shipment should be here today. Don't know if I'll actually see anything from the FedEx man in the next few days. Suppose we'll see.

Ive never had a bad experience with MoreWine, infact just the opposite. On a large order I requested MBR 31 and was sent CH 35. Without even asking they overnighted the MBR and told me to keep the 35. Another time I ordered BRY 97 when I should have ordered BRL 97. BRY is a beer yeast. I called and explained what I did and they told me they should have caught it since everything else was for wine and they shipped me out the BRL at no cost. I can only imagine your issue was just an honest mistake on someones part.

When did you pitch yeast? I pitched late afternoon yesterday. Caps starting to form tonight, but not quite yet. I was going to wait until tomorrow. Now I'm wondering if that's the right idea...

You are correct the Paso Robles old vine zin are in. Picking up wednesday 12pm.

Hey, sucks you have to wait longer, but at least they are not harvesting your cab early.

I’m perfectly fine with it. More time to get my ducks on a row. And Like you said, it’s comforting knowing that harvest time is getting proper focus.
Just outta the norm for me having never picked up grapes in October before.

Big debate these days in regards to Hang Time.

http://wine.wsu.edu/2006/03/06/hangtime/

Awesome article. Winemakers battling the vineyards. Quality vs quantity. And the writer really gives great info. Thanks.
Made me think of this podcast with John Caldwell, the notorious French vine smuggling clone pioneer of Caldwell Vineyards. Owns the winery and vineyard= no battle. He talks about his Tannat(?) grapes coming in ~2.7 at good Brix. And how he pushed thru to 3.6-3.7 with the Brix well over 30%. Said the grapes shriveled up like “grandmas t***y” and falling off the vine.
Lost yield- watered down the Brix, but wine came out so exceptional that he charges top $, and now is the only way he makes his tannat.
One of many great stories told in this podcast. The story of smuggling the vines into the US is wild. Here’s the link.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast...th-jim-duane/id906249753?mt=2&i=1000392573491

When did you pitch yeast? I pitched late afternoon yesterday. Caps starting to form tonight, but not quite yet. I was going to wait until tomorrow. Now I'm wondering if that's the right idea...

Don't second guess yourself. Do what you think the wine is telling you to do.

I pitched yeast on Saturday night, just before bed. By Sunday night, a cap was starting to form. I wish I could have pitched MLB Monday morning, but didn't have time or my shipment from MW.

Got MLB hydrated and pitched about an hour ago. Things are cooking.

Interesting note: The Petite Syrah seems to have the same volume as the other 3 wines, but appears to be much heavier in skin content. So much so, that even with a cap formed, punch downs are challenging as skins seem to be solid throughout the must. I don't recall this w/ previous PS. The other 3 run the gamut, with the Zin being the most 'liquidy' of the bunch.

Got MLB hydrated and pitched about an hour ago. Things are cooking.

Interesting note: The Petite Syrah seems to have the same volume as the other 3 wines, but appears to be much heavier in skin content. So much so, that even with a cap formed, punch downs are challenging as skins seem to be solid throughout the must. I don't recall this w/ previous PS. The other 3 run the gamut, with the Zin being the most 'liquidy' of the bunch.

I had a similar experience with my PS. Ended up with 1+ gallon less than the brunello in volume after free run and press. But the PS is already tasty at several weeks old. Plus the PS skins made my nebiollo buckets just as dark.

IMG_6768.JPG

My 2018 wines to date.
-It’s 22 gal of Malbec. Still separated d80 and d254. And still rocking no sulphites goin on 5 months.
-Syrah juice bucket with all those Malbec skins
-and this fall’s family Red

Malbecs and Syrah are going great. Malbec About to get So2 and blended in the new barrel.
The family red is tasting already exactly as I remember- but the Zinfandel adds a little extra something. With a demi and a carboy I’m thinking of adding malo to the carboy just for kicks. And I’ll be able to note the differences....hopefully.

Nice. So the ultimate goal is a 2 week ferment. Very optimistic. I like that your up for the challenge. I’m not sure what system you’ve got going on with temp control but I know you’ve got some tricks up your sleeve ready.

Vegas has the O/U at 9.5 days to reach 1.000.

No 1/2 day selection increments so we don’t push. Venmo or PayPal will work. Juice is 10% :)

I think Vegas odds are going to win the day with this one. We're 4 days in to a ferment and the wine is already down to 1.030 SG.

Back