2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm targeting a Sunday afternoon pressing at this point. the SG was about 2/3rds of the way home a couple days ago, and the ferment temp is still about 80* last night. Looks and smells remarkable.

Because I co-inoculated, I wonder if there's anything I need to be aware of when racking from primary to carboy. I think my answer is, again, no. I'll press, minimize headspace in the carboys and let it finish fermentation for another 10-14 days. With any luck, the MLF will be done by then too.

I'm targeting a Sunday afternoon pressing at this point. the SG was about 2/3rds of the way home a couple days ago, and the ferment temp is still about 80* last night. Looks and smells remarkable.

Because I co-inoculated, I wonder if there's anything I need to be aware of when racking from primary to carboy. I think my answer is, again, no. I'll press, minimize headspace in the carboys and let it finish fermentation for another 10-14 days. With any luck, the MLF will be done by then too.

Don't forget to rack a day or two after pressing.

I won't. When I press, I'm hoping to fill 2 6gal carboys and have about 2-3gal of excess for racking down. We'll see, but I think the yield on the OVZ is going to be pretty good.

Jim, I recently pressed 4 lugs of OVZ from Procassi and filled a 6 and 3 gallon carboy plus 2 bottles. This yield was after racking a day after press.

I needed an extra sniffer so @Boatboy24 Jim was good enough to let me borrow his. I had an odor I couldn't identify. We both made the mistake of sniffing a little too close to the wine and got a nose full of CO2. It could have been a little H2S or VA in the different batches but nothing conclusive. Jim brought something to my attention I probably wouldn't have picked up on if he didn't say anything. The 2 Sauv Blanc buckets had a different scent. He described the one with the Rhone 4600 as more of a tropical fruit scent then the one with the QA23. If I'm lucky enough to get 3 gallons of each I'll keep them separate. Always use different yeasts but never aged them separately. Chances are I will blend them together prior to bottling but this will be the first time I'll have the opportunity to taste the differences a yeast will make.

The OVZ is fermented to zero... went like a rocket. Today is day 8. Press now or wait another day?

1.5 days under the line. The house always wins!

Although a healthy ferment that goes dry is a win no matter how ya look at it. Well done sir.

Unless the color was lacking, the only factor into this decision, for me, would be convenience. If waiting then I’d leave the cap in place until press.

Finally picked up 7 lugs of the Paso Robles OV Zin this morning. Crushed and warming up in the basement.

Fruit looked good, some slight raisins but not too many. Brix 27 pH 3.65. Will take measurements again in the am.

Packed on SO2 pads.

Gino's was hoppin' mostly juice buckets though, the hour I was there I was the only one getting grapes.

Finally picked up 7 lugs of the Paso Robles OV Zin this morning. Crushed and warming up in the basement.

Fruit looked good, some slight raisins but not too many. Brix 27 pH 3.65. Will take measurements again in the am.

Packed on SO2 pads.

Gino's was hoppin' mostly juice buckets though, the hour I was there I was the only one getting grapes.
Are ya gonna knock that brix back with some acidulated water? Just curious, 27 seems a bit high, the 3.65 pH seems perfect.

Edit: on second thought, some Zin's are pretty high in alcohol, less fooling usually makes better wine in my opinion, humble as always of course.

Are ya gonna knock that brix back with some acidulated water? Just curious, 27 seems a bit high, the 3.65 pH seems perfect.

Edit: on second thought, some Zin's are pretty high in alcohol, less fooling usually makes better wine in my opinion, humble as always of course.

Unless the numbers are way different in the am, I will let this one ride. 15% or so, this Zin should be able to handle it.

Packed on SO2 pads.

Very nice! If the cab comes in at those numbers I’ll be extremely happy.

I hope they have some extra buckets next wknd- tho I doubt it since it’ll be so late in the season.

Very nice! If the cab comes in at those numbers I’ll be extremely happy.

I hope they have some extra buckets next weekend- tho I doubt it since it’ll be so late in the season.

They were rolling out red buckets mostly today, when ever I've checked this late it's usually lighter white buckets left.

Back