2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got final measurements and adjustments done after a very brief visit to @mainshipfred 's crush/press operation to pick up some oak chips for fermentation. Numbers were as follows:

Cab Sauv: 24.4 Brix, 3.55 pH
Zin: 24 Brix, 3.70 pH
Syrah: 23.2 Brix, 3.86 pH
PS: 24 Brix, 3.65 pH

I tweaked the Zin and Syrah by adding a bit of tartaric. BM4X4 on the Cab, D254 on the PS and RP15 on both the Zin and Syrah.
And you are co-inoculating your batches, especially the BM4x4 ones, right?

Fantastic! Sounds like Fred’s new connection was a success. that’s nice they had c/d for you guys if ya wanted. Huge plus if one isn’t owned. Craig I hope next year everything works out for ya.
Numbers seem legit all around.

And Jim, with your numbers and adjustments you make it sound so easy! A seasoned vet no doubt. When you adjusted did you check TA, or since so minor didn’t even worry about it? TA is always a hassle for me on crush day.

And did anyone happen to take an So2 reading at crush? Just curious.

And Jim, with your numbers and adjustments you make it sound so easy! A seasoned vet no doubt. When you adjusted did you check TA, or since so minor didn’t even worry about it? TA is always a hassle for me on crush day.

I've been going on pH alone for the last few years.

Here too. A cap is starting to form on my wine. Smells good.

Hoping that my supplies show up by then.

I got starters going and pitched between 3 and 5 this afternoon. So no caps yet. But I just ran down and took a look and we have very clear bubbling going on at this point. I figure by tomorrow night, I'll be doing my first punchdown, adding Fermaid, Optimalo and MLB.

Fantastic! Sounds like Fred’s new connection was a success. that’s nice they had c/d for you guys if ya wanted. Huge plus if one isn’t owned. Craig I hope next year everything works out for ya.
Numbers seem legit all around.

And did anyone happen to take an So2 reading at crush? Just curious.

I'm going to take the SO2 readings today.

It explains why the horizontal Bladder presses have lengthy programs for pressing whites. Press, deflate, roll, press...etc. When it’s a business you can’t afford to waste.
I fluff and repress my reds. I don’t have to press as hard at one time and still get the yield.
Some wineries us their stems to facilitate pressing. Not for me because I worry about the stem tannins being astringent.

@pgentile. I called up Gino Pintos this morning about the Paso Robles grapes.
They said they just got some in. Not tons. But they have Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah, and OV Zin. But my Cabernet is “at least 10 days away”.

Good to hear, I'm going call in a bit. Hopefully my Old Vine Zin lot is in.

Thanks

Good to hear, I'm going call in a bit. Hopefully my Old Vine Zin lot is in.

Thanks

Last year I did my grapes September 2nd. This year looking at oct 13th as my earliest possible pickup day.
I’m not positive how the progression of grape acid goes, but if it’s taking this long to harvest the cabs for optimal ripeness, wouldn’t there be a nice byproduct of acid increasing too? Or does acid decrease as sugar goes up?

Last year I did my grapes September 2nd. This year looking at oct 13th as my earliest possible pickup day.
I’m not positive how the progression of grape acid goes, but if it’s taking this long to harvest the cabs for optimal ripeness, wouldn’t there be a nice byproduct of acid increasing too? Or does acid decrease as sugar goes up?

The only gauge I have is my Touriga. 1.120 SG 4.37 ph. Don't know if it's a true representation.

Acid decreases with hang time. (c.f. http://www.winecountrythisweek.com/articles/what-“hang-time” )

I found this source kinda nice regarding determining when to harvest:
https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/HYG-1436

Latest posts

Back