2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How's the color? Body? Flavor? How long have your grapes been in the primary?

Color on the Zin is very deep purple while the Merlot is a very dark red. One noticeable difference is the Zin must was “sloppier” than the Merlot if that makes sense. Flavor on the Merlot is very nice fruit forward and the Zin fruity as well with more of a cherry flavor at the moment. Very happy thus far as each showing signs of 2 different and distinct wines.

I think the domestic issues are cleared (washer and dryer installed, wifey not working).

My main issue is being in a car for four hours, not sure my back/leg are up to it. I developed a sciatic nerve issue along with an arthritic hip this past spring (it sucks getting older) and have found that much more than an hour drive necessitates a stop and five minute walk/stretch. I've got to find a way to do a three hour trip up to our cabin to close it in a couple of weeks, so this may be a good test (at your expense if I'm howling in pain the whole way).

What time do I have to be at your place to depart, 6:45-7am?

Will be great to see both of you again. Craig, did you have a chance to give Jim the bottle of Norton from Split Rocks? I'm in the process of fixing the latest Norton so I won't have a bottle to share. The Split Rocks one did not have the flaw.

Craig, did you have a chance to give Jim the bottle of Norton from Split Rocks?
Oh, was that what I was supposed to do with that? Must have slipped my mind, or never registered and stayed there. I'm sure drinking a bit on that Saturday had absolutely nothing to do with it. At least that's the story I'm sticking with. I'll ask my wife if she remembers anything about that night. :)

Edit: Found the bottles, one on the way to @jgmann67.

Last edited:
Color on the Zin is very deep purple while the Merlot is a very dark red. One noticeable difference is the Zin must was “sloppier” than the Merlot if that makes sense. Flavor on the Merlot is very nice fruit forward and the Zin fruity as well with more of a cherry flavor at the moment. Very happy thus far as each showing signs of 2 different and distinct wines.

If you're satisfied, then, go for it.

This year, I'm going to do what I can to maximize extraction from the skins with a slow-burn fermentation (chose AMH for primary fermentation and will try to get two weeks on the skins).

This year, I'm going to do what I can to maximize extraction from the skins with a slow-burn fermentation (chose AMH for primary fermentation and will try to get two weeks on the skins).

Jim, I just used AMH for the first time. The instructions said to hydrate it in 10% of the must before final innoculation. What I did was rehydrate with Go Ferm and just poured it on the must without stirring it in. Seemed to work fine and didn't have a long lag phase as published.

So far I am quite happy with the results this early in the process. Looking forward to pressing this evening.

Your slow burn ferment sounds very cool, keep us posted!

Nice. So the ultimate goal is a 2 week ferment. Very optimistic. I like that your up for the challenge. I’m not sure what system you’ve got going on with temp control but I know you’ve got some tricks up your sleeve ready.

Vegas has the O/U at 9.5 days to reach 1.000.

No 1/2 day selection increments so we don’t push. Venmo or PayPal will work. Juice is 10% :)

I scanned this thread and a Washington Winemaker group is referenced a number of times. Would someone share a contact with me. I foster a similar group in NC and wold love to discuss ways we could help each other. We purchase about 450 lugs plus some white juice and only receive one truck. My hope is partner with another group in the region and get two trucks. This would give us access to some of the earlier ripening grapes.

I think there is a nonpublic way to respond to me. If not, I can provide an email address.

Coinoclated MLF 2 weeks for MLF. Refresh my memory, how is this doing so far?

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• 6AD1028D-0275-4253-B884-A717D12CED7C.jpeg
    6AD1028D-0275-4253-B884-A717D12CED7C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
I scanned this thread and a Washington Winemaker group is referenced a number of times. Would someone share a contact with me. I foster a similar group in NC and wold love to discuss ways we could help each other. We purchase about 450 lugs plus some white juice and only receive one truck. My hope is partner with another group in the region and get two trucks. This would give us access to some of the earlier ripening grapes.

I think there is a nonpublic way to respond to me. If not, I can provide an email address.

Below is the WW order for this fall. The group tried to get an early harvest shipment but there was not enough interest to make shipping worth it. The only problem I see with partnering is the distance folks would have to drive for the pick up. There are some in our group already traveling from PA

"Our order this year consists of 57 boxes of white grapes and 750 boxes of red grapes. There are also 109 pails of juice."

Coinoclated MLF 2 weeks for MLF. Refresh my memory, how is this doing so far?

Thanks,
Steve

Doing damn good- that’s how it’s doing!

At your sample the dots along the way up the paper represent the amount of each acid. 1st one is tartaric. That one stays constant. Middle is malic and top is lactic.
The 3 acid samples on the left represent where they will be in line with for your sample.
If no MLf was done your middle malic Acid spot would be brighter. And the top lactic lighter.
Faded malic and bright lactic means you are successfully converting your malic to lactic.
2 weeks with a coinnoc. and your progressing well.

*would be much easier to read in better lighting. Hold it up to a lightbulb to see better. Sunlight can also damage the paper.

Ready to rock and roll tomorrow!View attachment 51218
When are you going to finish up that basement? It's not like you had to replace your sewer line or something this year! :)

Actually, wish I could see more of the floor in my basement. Clearing a "path" for the new appliances was quite the chore.

It’s 5:00 a.m. EST. I’m up with the dog (who starts barking the second she hears someone walk to the bathroom - it’s kind of a hostage situation when you think about it). And, staring at my phone.

My big fermenter is clean and ready.

The opti-Malo and fermaid-O didn’t show up in the mail yet. Not sure why a package has to go from Pittsburgh to Philly only to turn around and come back West 120 miles... and USPS wonders why people hate them. Hoping for a delivery today or Monday.

Need to pack wine for swapping.

Saw that WW has extra grapes and juice.

Grape/Juice Variety Color Qty Price

Grape Cabernet Sauvignon Red 3 $46.50

Grape Malbec Red 2 $46.50

Grape Merlot Red 2 $37.50

Grape OV Zinfandel Red 5 $41.50

Grape Sangiovese Red 3 $39.50

Grape Chardonnay White 2 $39.50

Grape Muscato White 1 $35.50

Juice Alicante Red 1 $55.00

Juice Merlot Red 1 $58.00

Juice Muscato White 7 $56.00

If interested, you’ll have to wait around until everyone gets their orders (noonish). I wouldn’t mind doing a Merlot this year. But, my wallet says no.

Back