2018 Grape Season Underway

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a half marathon on Sunday, so the crush party at Chez Boatboy will be somewhat subdued. :i
Just please use some of your remaining energy for pictures. I'm living through all of your ferments since I didn't/couldn't afford to order anything this Fall. I'm very sad because I don't have a good reason now not to bottle a bunch of wines.

Some days just get the better of ya. Today was/is one of those days. The reason—- fruit flies. They have taken over the basement- 1st floor- garage - everywhere! I kill 30. 30 more pop up. I think I cleared the room. The next room is loaded. 100’s of them.
Traps with wine/apple cider vinegar/fans/ zappers/shop vac/scrubbing down EVERYTHING- I doesnt matter.
Not even touching the wine tonight. Lid off for few seconds is like an open invitation.
Tomorrow’s a new day

I give up. All I’ve done was waste time fighting em
I deal with them a lot for my job, (fix commercial dishwashers in NYC), they lay their eggs in wet places like sink drains. We sell a product called fruit fly bar pro...you can get them online, just hang them around damp areas, my customers use them in bars and they seem satisfied...

I deal with them a lot for my job, (fix commercial dishwashers in NYC), they lay their eggs in wet places like sink drains. We sell a product called fruit fly bar pro...you can get them online, just hang them around damp areas, my customers use them in bars and they seem satisfied...

My man! After having one brutal week I started researching the hell of it myself. The reviews for this thing were great. Most people were complaining the packaging warns to not use in occupied buildings. But they all said it worked. And amazon wouldn’t send to NJ or PA—- so to me that means it’s some good stuff! Found em at Depot.
Collected a few hundred on baited fly paper- built myself an air sealed plastic chamber, and just hung the barpro 20 min ago.
I’d lost control. Desperate times call for desperate measures. IMG_6473.JPGIMG_6492.JPGIMG_6494.JPG

My man! After having one brutal week I started researching the hell of it myself. The reviews for this thing were great. Most people were complaining the packaging warns to not use in occupied buildings. But they all said it worked. And amazon wouldn’t send to NJ or PA—- so to me that means it’s some good stuff! Found em at Depot.
Collected a few hundred on baited fly paper- built myself an air sealed plastic chamber, and just hung the barpro 20 min ago.
I’d lost control. Desperate times call for desperate measures. View attachment 51083View attachment 51084View attachment 51085

That batch will have to be called "Boy in the Bubble" wine.

Yea, I would have been served divorce papers by now if I had this going on. I like the plastic tent, though you do have to be careful of CO2 accumulation and properly ventilate before entering.

It’s getting pretty routine now: butting heads when grapes are in season.
The flies certainly don’t help. Or the money spent. But mostly it’s the time spent. Especially during home renovation- 90% of which I’m doing myself and working 40hrs a week. . — usually I can balance it out. Tho the wine gods thru me yet another curveball with the flies this time.
Btw- I made sure to build the plastic barrier to have a window inside.

Tho the wine gods thru me yet another curveball with the flies this time.
When I got local grapes three years ago (chardonel and dornfelder) the wine rooms of the guy I bought them from were just loaded with flies. There were dead ones throughout the must before I pitched the yeast. He had added 50 ppm kmeta (though I didn't ask him to), but other than that, I just put the top on the brute (which has ventilation slits under the handles). I eventually had fruit files all over the house. The story has ended in those being some really good wines IMHO, so I wouldn't worry too much about the flies, unless you leave a lot of fruit out on the counter up in the kitchen. The Kmeta you add after fermentation and/or MLB will keep you from making some really expensive wine vinegar.

Okay so, this is something I’ve wondered for a while - whether just sprinkling it like I typically do with yeast wouldn’t work. Have you ever had difficulty with your MLF?

Jim, with all due respect I think you are gun shy and with good reason due to your 17's. Just a hunch, and I have never been able get a conclusive answer, but with my limited experience I believe it was the total SO2 that may have caused your problems with the MLF. Although it's been proven effective by many others I'm still going old school and doing MLF after AF. Not sure which way your'e going but what I find consistent is the need for proper nutrients with co inoculation.

I pressed my OVZ and Syrah yesterday and usually wait 2-3 days after press to rack. There is plenty of sediment on the bottom already so I think I'm going to rack today. My thought is leave some sediment behind for MLF nutrients.

I pressed the buckets on skins yesterday too. Might rack of gross lees as well today, but could be tomorrow.

But I will be filling the barrel today!

I pressed the buckets on skins yesterday too. Might rack of gross lees as well today, but could be tomorrow.

But I will be filling the barrel today!

Put my SA Cab in the 30 liter and Chilean Malbec in the 25 on 8-24. Both are getting some nice oak. Not overly concerned about the Cab since I still have another 5 gallons but the Malbec I'm going to monitor more closely. Could always add some of the Cab if I over do it.

Not a surprise and probably already know by some, but just found this on the Regina/Pia lugs. They don't have pads or liners, so I guess they are sprayed?

View attachment 51111

I saw it but just been to lazy to take a reading. Figured it is what it is. Sometime this week I'm going to test the barreled wines as well as the OVZ and Syrah.

Back